Skip navigation

425 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2010 4:54 AM by Stretch Kennedy RSS
Bengalvfan Amateur 24 posts since
May 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 21, 2010 10:29 AM

safe call at 1st overturned by vid replay

I think this was the first play in the series to be overturned.

It was a great play by the short stop. I was sitting out on the hill in left center and most everyone thought it was a blown call. It was challenged by the manager and overturned.

So far I am happy with the process, but the real test is yet to come when more are on base, or 3rd out changed to safe with runners on.

Dan

• Super blue Amateur 34 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Aug 21, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to Bengalvfan)
    Re: safe call at 1st overturned by vid replay

It was a good play by the third baseman and The runner was out by 2-3 steps. Was an easy overturn. Rough game for the first base blue.

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 21, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to Super blue)

1st base is having a hard time today.  The overturned call wasn't really all that close, not sure how he missed that one.  First game jitters. 

I think he missed the obstruction call as well.  That was a pretty big collision and the runner's momentum was completely stopped.  This wasn't like he was just stepping off and observing, he was in a full run.  No doubt he was going to try for second.  The swinging HBP looked like a miss too.  Sure looked like the kid was taking a swipe at the ball, but that one was at least reasonable for the umpires to say no swing.

Luckily he got a much closer call right on the bunt in the 6th inning. 

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Aug 21, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to Bengalvfan)

Luckily he got a much closer call right on the bunt in the 6th inning.

"Luck" says it all for that guy.

May 25, 2007
    6. Aug 21, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)

I don't think he could have made it to second, but you've got to make that call when it happens, no matter the award.

U1 will be delegated to being the designated dancer of the YMCA for the duration.

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Aug 21, 2010 1:57 PM (in response to Kyle_)

I don't know if he would have made it or not, but in my opinion if the ball was still in the outfield (which it looked like it was) and the runner is clearly trying to try for second and gets totally stopped like that I think you have to consider that there was a chance he could have made it and award accordingly. 

Now, if the ball was already on the way to second and there was really no chance for the runner, I agree he doesn't get the base.  But I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case here.  Looked to me like the runner turned on first at a full dead run and was stopped hard by the first baseman with the  ball still being initially fielded.  That's a legitimate shot at second in my opinion. 

May 25, 2007
    8. Aug 21, 2010 2:20 PM (in response to mackman)

Either way U1 has to make that call.

• Stretch Kennedy Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    9. Aug 22, 2010 4:54 AM (in response to Kyle_)

Stop defending instant replay guys, that could have been you looking stupid when a judgement call got overturned, you know we all blow calls, this is a game, we need to keep the human element there or we create a mockery of what was envisioned by Abner Doubleday decade ago in Cooperstown.  The main thing these kids need to learn, is that sometimes you get a call for you, and sometimes they are against you, either way, deal with it, and move on, play ball, if you play hard, youll overturn that call on your own, no need for video.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Aug 22, 2010 1:27 PM (in response to Stretch Kennedy)
    Historical note

this is a game, we need to keep the human element there or we create a mockery of what was envisioned by Abner Doubleday decade ago in Cooperstown.

Note:

Modern baseball historians pretty much agree that Doubleday's involvement with the origin of baseball is a myth..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_baseball#The_Abner_Doubleday_myth

oops

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...