Skip navigation

1683 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 5:27 AM by Manny_A RSS 1 2 Previous Next
YoBlue! Expert 47 posts since
Jun 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 23, 2010 4:28 PM

That had to Hurt!

Yikes! GA/OH game and the PU got one right in the neck. I've been seeing these guys work rather high and this is one of those things that can happen. Hope he's OK.

"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a  sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that  follows an automobile." - Christie Mathewson

• Bengalvfan Amateur 24 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    1. Aug 23, 2010 4:34 PM (in response to YoBlue!)
    Re: That had to Hurt!

I was coming on to say the same thing.. hope he is ok.

Dan

• Super blue Amateur 34 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Aug 23, 2010 4:36 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)

He got up and walked off the field. Got to believe he hopes the rain delays the game for a while. He may want a cup or two of tea. Me I'd be wanting a little something in that tea and the rest of the nite off.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 23, 2010 5:21 PM (in response to Super blue)
    Re: So how do you

get "low enough" if you're really tall and the catcher's 5'1"  -  -  -  or 4'8"?

• DawgDays Pro 156 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Aug 23, 2010 9:11 PM (in response to Rich_Ives)

One time a 12YO F1 was bring them pretty good, one got away, and F2 never got his mitt up.  Caught me in the side of the neck.

Took five minutes before I got back behind the plate, and another inning and a half before I was back in the groove.

Also saw Rita get hit, enough that it knocked one side of her Yeager loose.  (I wasn't working, just watching from behind the screen.)  I suspect it was a bit before she was back with it again.  I ended up having to tell her to fix her mask.

Not fun.  Not fun at all.

• NathanQ Legend 378 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    5. Aug 23, 2010 9:21 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

About a year ago, I was doing a bullpen with my 11yo. He put a little extra on a 4 seamer, it sailed a bit, and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, and I totally missed the ball. It caught me flush on the  neck left of my larynx. One of the worst moments of my life. As I toppled over I remember thinking, oh holy crud, if that pitch burst an artery and I'm dead that poor kid will be scarred for life and never play baseball again. Fortunately I was ok in a few.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Aug 23, 2010 10:11 PM (in response to Rita_C)

I was coaching an 18u where my son was catching. Last of the seventh, two outs, two strikes. He calls for fastball inside, but it drifts across to the other side of the plate. As he reaches across his body for it, the batter nicks it, and it strikes him in the exposed neck. Yow!

He stood up, and methodically removed all his gear, and placed it all on the plate. He walked back to the bench, sat down beside me, and calmly stated "I'm done". Fair enough, and I sent another guy out to catch one more pitch to end the game.

Now what I should have done is gone down the street to the ER to have him checked out. A crushing blow like that, to a sensitive area like that, needs to be checked. Being younger and dumber, I just figured it shut down some blood flow to the brain for moment, and he went into a zombie state for 60 seconds or so. I was probably right, but it could have been a lot worse.

As umpires, we don't have to lean over on pitches. Our gear, and our stance, provide a lot of protection IF properly employed. So check your gear, and check your stance. Look for holes, where a ball can bite you, and fix them.

Oh, and that was the last time my son caught in a game. Done.

• LarryS Expert 57 posts since
    May 13, 2000
    7. Aug 23, 2010 10:13 PM (in response to DawgDays)
    I was there

I had Section I seats behind home plate.  Was light rain.  Ball fouled back, and PU just crumbled.  very scary.  his feet were moving, but not much else.  They suspended the game at that point for rain delay, brought out the tarp, and delayed for about 1 1/2 hours, then rolled the tarp back, kids warmed up, Umps came out including PU, great applause. 

But game never got re-started and was finally cancelled about 9:40 without an inning being completed.

I talked with some Ohio parents, who were looking for a rule book to see if the GA pitcher, who had apparently thrown 30 pitches in top 1, could pitch Tuesday.

I opined that if a game doesn't go a complete inning, everything is wiped out, kid is good to go for a full shot on Tuesday if they want.

Williamsport is always magical.

This year, for me, it was magical and wet.

I finally got Section 1 seats, VIP parking, and watched 3 innings of ball! (end of mexico and bit of OH/GA.  Alas.  I was really looking forward to WA/CT rematch.

• Rita_C Pro 89 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Aug 23, 2010 10:55 PM (in response to NathanQ)

That happened again this year!  I was trying to remember when it happened before.

I took one in the mask and then realized that the throat protector was hanging by one fastener.

I'm wondering if I should figure out another way to fasten it.

Rita

• LarryS Expert 57 posts since
    May 13, 2000
    9. Aug 23, 2010 11:04 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    seeing eye balls

While we were watching the umpire on the ground, and watched the replay on the TV in the stands, my wife asked if I had ever been hit there.

I replied that I had been hit everywhere.

I have good POS chest protecter, good mask, regular size dangler, have learned not to turn my head when a foul or pitch comes at me, take it straight on.  But the ball seems to be a seeing-eye ball at times, finding that square-inch that's not protected and whacking you there.

Oh, and we're not talking about that ball that bounced off the plate and checks for vulnerability in your, er, privates.

The DAs and assorted VIPS in Section 1 thought that the PU would not come back to finish the game.  I said that he would.  and he did come out later ready to be PU.

Guess we're more dedicated, bravado, and stupid then most people give us credit for.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    10. Aug 24, 2010 3:21 AM (in response to Kyle_)

johng

It just so happens in Little League, there are at least 2 places in the rulebook that says adults MAY NOT warm up pitchers.

Not picking on you, but I am often asked why the rule is there.

Mike CVUA

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Aug 24, 2010 3:30 AM (in response to LarryS)

Alas!

I am one of those tall umpires who has to crouch behind little kids.  With some help of a highly experienced umpire trainer and my own Gold's Gym guy, I worked on a stance that helps this ancient body get down into the right place.

First, I really spread out like you see in softball.  Next, I get over into the slot and then some!  My eyes are actually a little more on the inside looking at the batter rather than the edge of the plate. (A slight exaggeration, but I wish to illustrate that the "slot" to some people isn't really the slot where you need to look.)

I drop vertically.  That's really the key.  I run my hands down the backs of my legs just as a mnemonic to stay straight.

I can see the entire zone and even the label on the catcher's glove!  And if there is a foul ball, it usually goes back past my right earhole rather than hitting me.

My ump trainer said that when he saw me take two right in the helmet, he knew I was too close to center.  Those should have gone past my ear orat no worsehit my shoulder pad.

The technique works!  I requires some physical stamina (and that's why I rehab at Gold's Gym!)  But I get a better view of the zone, and I tend to stay down better. (And even with the helmet, I DO wear a throat protector.) 

With those techniques, my zone has improved a ton.  And I don't get schwacked as badly either!

Mike CVUA

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    12. Aug 24, 2010 4:26 AM (in response to LarryS)
    Re: I was there

I talked with some Ohio parents, who were looking for a rule book to see if the GA pitcher, who had apparently thrown 30 pitches in top 1, could pitch Tuesday.

Parents.  No surprise.  Some of them are probably out of work (or will lose their jobs because they've spent too much time following their kids around during the tournaments), have left significant others back home to take care of more important things like paying bills, etc. etc.  And they're worried about an opposing pitcher's eligibility.  Give me a break.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Aug 24, 2010 5:09 AM (in response to rhughes18)
    Re: So how do you

It can be done.

oops

• Tarheel_Dan Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 18, 2007
    14. Aug 24, 2010 5:21 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

There are 3 absolute facts in this world:

Death

Taxes

If you umpire, no matter how well you're protected, sooner or later the ball WILL find the one spot that's not protected!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...