Skip navigation

1551 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2010 7:04 PM by TheMouth__1 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2010 3:25 AM

"Eye Makeup" ?

While I was watching the LLWS, I noticed that a lot of teams used the eye black material, ostensibly to shade the glare into their eyes so they could hit and catch better.  (I have never been convinced that helps, but shows you what kind of athlete I was!  Marathon runners don't need that $hit!)

Anyway, I noticed also that some of the players went a little overboard!  There were designs such as a devil's fork, shark teeth, huge fins.....etc.  Cute!  But not funny!

About 10 years ago, NASO had an article about youth football players who actually had their moms put on the eye black and then add some designs with red lip liners or such.  The intent was to try to gain some psychological advantage.  The theme of the Referee article was that team sports uniforms should be.....well,.....UNIFORM!  And the odd face art was non-uniform and therefore to be sanctioned against.

I think the NCAA has put a stop to the eye patches where guys like Tim Tebow would write some Biblical passage, and other low-lifes (probably from Fla State and USC) would write "B1te Me!" and so forth.  Now, all those eye patches must be standard and unedited.  I suppose that with the plethora of $$$$ coming in from ESPN and ABC, close-ups of the faces should not have anything tawdry or politcal......maybe.

I doubt if I would try to enforce anything under "non-uniformities" of the equipment, but I think it's a sad state when kids have to try stupid tricks to stoke their own egos. 

All it says is "Look at me!" and I believe it does take away from the "team" concept of LL basball.

Just a rant before Labor Day!

Mike CVUA

• trexonu Pro 163 posts since
    Feb 22, 2009
    1. Sep 3, 2010 5:54 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: "Eye Makeup" ?

Mike,  I also saw the LL'ers with "extended" eye black.  My experience personally is that the eye black reduces sun glare from the sunlight reflected up from the very top of the cheek bone. It does work.  However, there seems to be a line limit that WP should endorse. I suggest simply to extend the black out to under the eye, and no more than 1" past the closed eye lids, AND no more than 1" wide. An easy rule to remember.  War paint is getting out of hand.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Sep 3, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to trexonu)

Mike, as a fellow Washington, DC area inhabitant, you should know that it's all Bryce Harper's fault.

Frankly, I really don't care what they do, as long as it doesn't prove to be a distraction that affects play.  Traditionalists hate what baseball players do with their hats (flatten the brims, wear them ****-eyed, etc.), pants (wear them over their shoes), and other parts of their uniforms.

Funny thing is, I don't think I've seen anybody in MLB play do the same thing with eye black.  Maybe something has already been put out to the players union that I'm not aware of.  I remember recently that a pitcher with excessive tattoos on his arms was told to wear a long-sleeved undershirt.  Perhaps this was interpreted that any unusual skin paintto include eye blackis not acceptable.

• Bearblue Pro 66 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Sep 3, 2010 6:12 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Mike- pretty sure you need a long weekend.

The eye black doesn't bother me (even with writing) as long as it is not profane.  I imagine LL and ESPN would prefer the eye black we saw over the stick on eye black patches that have advertising on them (unless, of course, LL and ESPN get their cut).

I want the players to look alike, but over the last few years you have the high and low pants bottoms.  Some pulled down over shoes and held down by cleats and some wearing them high with the bottoms just below the knees. Certainly the most obvious example of non-uniformity.

My pet peeve is a cap worn sideways.  I now leave that alone.  A few years back on the big field, I was PU and F1 had cap turned sideways (about 35-45 degrees to the left). It was driving me crazy.  As he came out in the second inning I caught him and told him I would appreciate it if he would straighten his cap, he answered "but Blue, the sun is that way"  I smiled and said "nevermind".

All I need is some kid getting hit and saying that the umpire made him straighten his cap and now the sun was in his eyes. I guess the same thing could happen with eye black.

At least on the little field, I think they do it for fun, not intimidation.  On the big field, if opposition thought it was intimidating, next pitch high and inside.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Sep 3, 2010 7:19 AM (in response to Bearblue)

The MLB pitcher that was told to cover up his arm tatoos was Justin Miller, Toronto Blue Jays...during spring training, 2004.

His whole body, from neck down, was covered with tattoos.

Put me down for being against LL players using eye-black for any other use other than for which  intended.

Recall a player in the recently completed LLWS who sustained an face injuryRe: "Eye Makeup" ?-he had "painted" a portion of his face with eye-black.

I wonder if he HAD suffered an open cut if that stuff would of caused a "problem."

As it was I believe it was the LL medic who wanted that stuff removed while examining the kid to determine the exact extent of his facial injury.

Frank!

• vaspgaz Amateur 16 posts since
    May 7, 2009
    5. Sep 3, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to gotblue)

I think LL needs to use IR on I-Black to make sure they get it right!

• Bearblue Pro 66 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    6. Sep 3, 2010 7:55 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)

I don't want to be the one that has to measure the size of the eye black or worse, deal with the opposing manager whose says the eye black is too big on the pitcher (and by rule he is right).

The players in the games I call don't have their faces on ESPN every other day for a week, let LL deal with the players at the LLWS and leave this out of the rule book.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Sep 3, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to Bearblue)

College ball put the ban in because few knuckleheads were putting gang stuff (area codes, etc) on their stick-on patches.

If we go down this road in LL, we're going to also be enforcing sock length, undershirt and belt color hue. How far do we want to take this? Honestly, I couldn't care less.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    9. Sep 3, 2010 2:51 PM (in response to Kyle_)

Saw it in the Women's College WS long before LL.

I've seen some bizare makeup at the WCWS.

If you care, your shorts are too tight.

• trexonu Pro 163 posts since
    Feb 22, 2009
    10. Sep 3, 2010 4:42 PM (in response to vaspgaz)

So full painted faces are good by you?

• STL__Ump Pro 133 posts since
    May 2, 2001
    11. Sep 3, 2010 6:36 PM (in response to NA_Umpires)

Myth Busters tested out the eye black theory and came up with the conclusion that the eye black COULD make a difference when it came to sun reflection.

http://sportsdoo.com/mythbusters-eye-black.html

• gotblue Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 27, 2001
    12. Sep 3, 2010 10:01 PM (in response to Frank_B)

And I thought I heard at the time that Bryce Harper was drafted, that the Lerner family (majority owners of the Nationals) were going to prohibit Bryce from continuing his face decoration, so long as he was in the Nats organization.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Sep 4, 2010 6:47 AM (in response to bobjenkins)

That may be; I haven't heard.  But I haven't seen Harper wearing the stuff in any public appearances recently, such as when he hit a few pre-game pitches in Nats Park a week or so ago.

• bobjenkins Pro 120 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    14. Sep 4, 2010 8:22 AM (in response to STL__Ump)

"If you care, your shorts are too tight. "

That might also be a uniform violation.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...