NEED HELP?|

502 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2010 3:09 PM by Mark_in_SD
Frank_NL Amateur 25 posts since
Feb 25, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 24, 2010 11:55 AM

Fair or foul? Why?

Hi there,

STL-CUBS, 2nd inning. A batter Fair or foul? Why? hits a bouncing ball in the infield, then it bounces, and flies right over 3rd base (through the air), and touches and settles in foul territory, behind 3rd base.

My English is moderate, but my American is lousy this is why I could not understand the explanation of the reporter: "..it can go past the foul line side of third and it still a fair ball."

Please enlight me?

Frank

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Sep 24, 2010 12:21 PM (in response to Frank_NL)
    Re: Fair or foul? Why?

A bouncing (bounding in the rule) ball that has hit the ground before reaching first or third base is judged fair or foul based on where it was at the time it went past the base.  So a ball can hit fair before the base and foul after the base and be fair if it was fair at the time it went over the base.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Sep 24, 2010 1:34 PM (in response to Frank_NL)

If I undertand what the announcer meant by saying the "foul line side of the base," he is correct.

Imagine, if you will, raising the height of the canvas bag straight up.  If a bouncing ball touches that tall column of canvas on any of the three sides that a batted ball could hit (side facing second, side facing home, or the side facing foul territory), then that's a fair ball.  It's the umpire's job to judge if the ball would have hit one of those sides given the bag's actual dimensions.

So I assume the announcer was talking about the side of the tall bag that is facing foul territory.  A batted bouncing ball could conceivably travel in foul territory towards third, then either hit the ground with a wicked spin, or deflect off a rock or divot in the ground, go over the bag from the side facing foul territory, and be fair.

At least that's how I interpret what the announcer was saying.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Sep 24, 2010 2:12 PM (in response to Manny_A)

And remember, it's NOT a foul line!  It's a FAIR line!

And the Foul Pole is 100% in fair territory as well!

Mike CVUA

• Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Sep 25, 2010 3:09 PM (in response to Frank_NL)

Although Manny's explanation is good and works well, I prefer to think in terms of the ball's "ground track".  Take the circular outline of the ball and project it straight down to the ground.  If that projection passes over 3rd base, it is a fair ball.

You get the same result as Manny's.  It is just a different way of visualizing it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...