Skip navigation

12065 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2010 3:51 PM by Delaware ASA UIC RSS 1 2 Previous Next
New York Lady Cobras Amateur 13 posts since
Aug 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2010 10:25 AM

Pitcher not having contact with pitcher's plate

So,I am working the bases on an ASA 14U tournament championship game. During the 1st inning, I notice during warmups that the pitcher's right foot is not in contact with the pitcher's plate, but it's maybe 2-3 inches behind the plate. No problem except that the 1st base coach also noticed it adn said something to me. I walk over to the pitcher after warmups are complete, lean down to wipe off the dirt from the Pitcher's plate and advise her that she needs both feet to be in contact with the PP. She nods and says OK.

So, here we are in the 1st innning R1 on first and a 3-2 count. AS the pitcher winds up her right foot is now a full 6-9 inches behind the PP. I put my arm out an call Illegal pitch. The ball went 3 feet wide which would have accounted for ball four.

The coach immediately comes running out of the dugout to start the usual complaining. He said that I should have issued her a warning. I advised him that I did when she was done with warm-ups and warnings of this type of infraction during tournament play are NOT given, just like leaving a base early. If it was an intramural game, it would have been a different story. I think that my only mistake was that I didn't advise him of it. Any feedback from anyone on what else I could have done differently?

• bluezebra Pro 84 posts since
    May 26, 2000

When I noticed a pitcher doing somethind illegal while warming up, I would inform the coach, and let her/him tell the pitcher. That way, it's on the coach's head if she does it during the game.

Sarge

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Aug 9, 2010 2:23 PM (in response to bluezebra)
    Re: Pitcher not having contact with pitcher's plate

Seriously, this being an ASA tournament championship game, I wouldn't have issued any warnings to the player or coach.  If the pitcher doesn't understand the pitching rules by now, shame on her and her coaches.

The rules are pretty specific on when an umpire should issue a warning prior to calling an infraction, such as when a batter fails to keep one foot in the batter's box.  There are no requirements for warnings on illegal pitches.  Doing so for rec games played under ASA rules, that's your prerogative.  But in a full-up tournament game?  Don't do it.

• SteveM Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 5, 2000

I agree, no warnings.

See the infraction, and call it - per the rules of the game and the instructions given at the beginning of the tournament.

Warnings, in general, do not work.

Steve M

• Delaware ASA UIC Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    5. Aug 9, 2010 7:38 PM (in response to SteveM)

Seems to me it is the coach's job to warn his/her pitcher not to be illegal.

• rhughes18 Pro 114 posts since
    Feb 18, 2001
    6. Aug 10, 2010 7:12 AM (in response to Manny_A)

As others have said umpire coaching in a competitive game is a NO-NO.

It's good you called this early in the game. I have worked with some umpires that don't call illegal pitches early and late in the game they will call something the pitcher has been doing the entire game.

My question is why didn't you dump the coach when he ran out of the dugout?   If a coach runs at me they are gone before they get to me.

I don't understand why the coach would be upset, the outcome would be the same with a no call.  The coach should be happy this was called at the time it was.

Feb 18, 2001

I must have read too much into the "coach immediatley comes running out of the dugout" part of your post.

I hope the pitcher is ok.

I cringe every time I see a Hot Shot back up the middle.

Feb 18, 2001

Good to hear she is ok.

Sometimes it is best to let things slide.   

Besides he doesn't know what he's talking about me and my partner are the worst or at least that what I've been told once or twice or ...

• YoBlue! Expert 47 posts since
    Jun 24, 2007
    11. Aug 31, 2010 5:17 PM (in response to rhughes18)

Cheer up! As many times as I've been told that, you're second worst if anything.

"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a  sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that  follows an automobile." - Christie Mathewson

• Raymarty Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 3, 2005
    12. Sep 6, 2010 11:18 PM (in response to rhughes18)

One of the instructions I try never to miss is, "If you have any questions concerning a rule of the game you may call time and come out and talk to us. But only the manager is allowed to do so".  Issues with "coaches" seem to be illiminate at that point. If a coach comes out of the dug out without calling time or in an aggressive way he should just walk out the other side and keep going. Once you make your presence known before the game issues are few.

As we all now know, if you try to be a player or coaches friend it will always come back to bite you. We are Umpires period.

• Delaware ASA UIC Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    13. Sep 7, 2010 5:05 AM (in response to YoBlue!)

One of the instructions I try never to miss is, "If you have any questions concerning a rule of the game you may call time and come out and talk to us.

No, they may request time. And I'm only talking about a rule which was enforced on the previous play. No clinics.

But only the manager is allowed to do so". Issues with "coaches" seem to be illiminate at that point. If a coach comes out of the dug out without calling time or in an aggressive way he should just walk out the other side and keep going. Once you make your presence known before the game issues are few.

Disagree. Pre-game meetings are to cover ground/special rules and line ups, not a place to pre-warn coaches what they may or may not do. It is THEIR game, not the umpire's. And restricting it to the "manager" or head coach could be a mistake. S/he could be an idiot while an assistant may actually have a clue. I will talk to one coach at a time, don't care who it is. Placing parameters on coaches is ludicrous. It is THEIR game. I once saw an umpire refuse to allow a 3B coach question a call at 3B because he would only talk to the HC and she was coaching 1B and couldn't possibly see the play. That is just plain dumb.

As we all now know, if you try to be a player or coaches friend it will always come back to bite you. We are Umpires period.

I agree, but the umpire is there at the team's request.  The coach has a job and an umpire needs to be cognizant of his/her position and not place unnecessary restrictions on them.

I can appreciate what you are trying to say, but sometimes umpires just create their own problems.  Umpires should umpire and coaches coach.  When the two meet, there can be a civil discussion on the issue at hand.

Feb 18, 2001

In FED only the HC may delay the game by questioning calls or rulings.  

An assistant coach may ask about a call or ruling but not delay the game by arguing.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...