Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

921 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2010 9:11 AM by Delaware ASA UIC
lennynyr Rookie 5 posts since
May 3, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 23, 2010 9:37 AM

Interference rule clarification

Rule 8-7B indicates that in the umpire's judgment, if the runner crashes into the fielder before being put out and in the judgment of the umpire, it was an attempt to break up an obvious double play, the immediate succeeding runner is also called out.

My question for this rule is does the umpire call the succeeding runner also out only if he thought there was time to get the double play if interference didn't occur or is he required to judge the intent of the base runner independent of whether the umpire thought there would have been time for a double play?

Similar question on Rule 8-7P. In this case the interference occurs after the interfering runner is put out but there is no mention of having to judge whether a double play would have been possible or not without the interference. 

Does that mean that the base runner closest to home plate is also out automatically regardless of whether the umpire thought the double play would have been completed without the interference or does the obvious double play judgment apply here also?

Thanks.

• Delaware ASA UIC Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    1. Jul 23, 2010 3:27 PM (in response to lennynyr)
    Re: Interference rule clarification

Rule 8-7B indicates that in the umpire's judgment, if the runner crashes into the fielder before being put out and in the judgment of the umpire, it was an attempt to break up an obvious double play, the immediate succeeding runner is also called out.

Well, that would depend on the rule book. You are not quoting ASA. However, in ASA (8.7.Q) the fielder must have possession of the ball. If the runner is put out on the tag first, then the runner closest to home at the time of the INT is ruled out.

My question for this rule is does the umpire call the succeeding runner also out only if he thought there was time to get the double play if interference didn't occur or is he required to judge the intent of the base runner independent of whether the umpire thought there would have been time for a double play?

Again, speaking ASA, intent is not relevant to the INT.

Similar question on Rule 8-7P. In this case the interference occurs after the interfering runner is put out but there is no mention of having to judge whether a double play would have been possible or not without the interference.

Does that mean that the base runner closest to home plate is also out automatically regardless of whether the umpire thought the double play would have been completed without the interference or does the obvious double play judgment apply here also?

The rule states the act was that of interfering with the defender's opportunity to make a play on another runner.  That would mean the umpire only needs to determine there was a play with which to interfere.

• Delaware ASA UIC Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    3. Jul 25, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to lennynyr)
    Re: Interference rule clarification

Irish, I did get those rules out of the ASA book. I have the 2008 book so don't know if there were any changes the next two years.

Okay, semantics apply. Your OP uses the term "crashes". You also did not state that the fielder was in the act of fielding a untouched batted ball or had already gained possession of the bal, so I headed in the direction of "crash" and the appropriate rule and interpretation. If you just stated INT, I wouldn't have wondered in another direction. Okay, same page now.

So let me get this straight. Are you saying if the runner interferes after he is put out, the runner closest to home is automatically out?

By rule, correct.

Under the situation where the runner interferes before he is put out, the umpire has to judge whether getting the double play would have been possible if the interference didn't occur and make the call accordingly?

Okay, now we are back to the beginning.  How is the runner interfering with the player?  Does tha player have the ball or fielding an untouched batted ball?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...