Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1002 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2010 1:40 PM by HugoTafurst
SALTY165 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 12, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2010 12:45 PM

What if any is the call?

Ball is in circle with F1, coach decides to change pitchers. Coach does not ask for timeout, acknowledged screwup, and tells the centerfielder to pitch and the pitcher to go to center field. Pitcher leaves the circle and flips the ball to center fielder running in. Pitcher then leaves the field and enters dugout to put away her faceguard before going to center. The only thing I see is ball is live and baserunners can advance. There was alot of time left in game. Two baserunners also left their bases during the switch and ran to talk to the third base coach, could they have been called for LBR once new pitcher was in circle? Sorry so long a post but it was a weird one. Blue didn't call anything but said if she was in the circle it would have been called a ball to the batter when she flipped the ball to the new pitcher. Once I realized the screwup I told my pitcher to tag out the baserunners talking to their coach but blue wouldn't entertain any of it during the confusion, I really didn't expect to get the call and perhaps we could have been called for something but I don't know what?

• VC_Blue Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 14, 2007
    1. Jul 19, 2010 1:35 PM (in response to SALTY165)
    Re: What if any is the call?

There is a thing called preventative umpiring. Provide all play was done after the previous pitch and the ball was back in the possession of the pitcher, the blue saw the coach making a change he should have called time and asked the coach what he was doing.

There are many coaches (and blues) that try to get an out any way they can. IMHO this creates a mockery of the game.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jul 19, 2010 1:49 PM (in response to VC_Blue)

I agree.  A coach shouldn't get very far onto the field without an umpire saying something like, "Hold on, coach; the ball is still Live."  This should clue him/her in that he/she should request Time and be granted it before going any further.

Shame on any umpire who simply stands there and watches the coach come onto the field without saying anything.

• VC_Blue Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 14, 2007
    4. Jul 19, 2010 7:13 PM (in response to SALTY165)

Once again any ump calling anything on this is looking for outs and needs to evaluate way s/he is umpiring.

• CelticNHBlue Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2005
    5. Aug 6, 2010 12:46 PM (in response to VC_Blue)

While I agree with the basic sentiment that a good preventative umpire will grant time out, it shouldn't be done too quickly.

The OP is accurate that it is a live ball when the pitcher leaves the circle with the ball.  If I am the plate umpire and I hear a coach bark to his players from the bench I'm going to look at the offense first to make sure they are not going to take advantage of the looseness of the coaches PENDING change.  If the offense is heads up, I'm not stopping them from advancing.  However, if they are equally content to let the change occur, then I am calling time.  I will approach the defensive coach because I need to know what is happening.  By rule, changes can only be reported by one person and I need to verify if the change is legal because I am certainly not going to allow an illegal player/substitute/etc. to occur.

NCAA requires ALL changes to be reported to the plate umpire (including defensive) and ASA requires the plate umpire to be notified of changes to the pitching and catching positions (for courtesy runner purposes).

In the specific case of the OP where the offense REACTED to the change (baserunners huddling with coaches) as though time was called, I am granting time.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Aug 6, 2010 1:40 PM (in response to CelticNHBlue)

By rule, changes can only be reported by one person

Which rule set?

oops

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...