Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2036 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2010 1:06 PM by rhughes18 1 2 Previous Next
Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2010 3:25 AM

Soft Tossing Before Coming to the Plate

I worked an ASA Tournament this past weekend, and I wonder if there's anything that prohibits this.  I couldn't find anything with a cursory look in the book.

One team set up a pop-up net behind its dugout.  While batting, the team would have the "in the hole" batter hit soft-toss pitches into the net.  She would then come onto the on-deck area when it was time to occupy it (although in a couple of instances, she would stay at the net hitting and the on-deck area would be unoccupied).

Is this acceptable under ASA rules?  Or must players stay on their bench when not actively participating in the game?

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jul 19, 2010 5:41 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Re: Soft Tossing Before Coming to the Plate

Unless someone points me to a violation, I have no problem with what players do to warm up (or being outside of the dugout) UNLESS or UNTIL</b> it affects the game.

In the case you mentioned, for instance, if the player taking her warm up swings delays the game, I might apply the proper remedy.

(edited to add)

Another issue that sometimes comes up (more often with the next team scheduled warming up) is the problem of loose balls comming on the field. In that case, f the problem repeats itself, I ask them to move or stop.

Also, if safety is an issue (off the field), I expect the TD to handle it.

oops

• JEL_4 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 15, 2003
    2. Jul 19, 2010 6:33 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Coaches, players, substitutes and other bench personell shall not be outside the designated bench, dugout/team area except when the rule allows, or is justified by the umpire. ASA Rule 5-12.

...An example of umpire justification is when a participant must leave the dugout to go to the restroom... ASA RS 16

I might not even see it!

• rhughes18 Pro 114 posts since
    Feb 18, 2001
    3. Jul 20, 2010 2:46 PM (in response to JEL_4)

I don't know if ASA has a stance on this, I imagine it would be up to the TD, unless as stated by others it affects the flow of the game.

I umpire mostly HS now, but will ump a couple ASA tourneys during the year, and unless someone complains I don't worry about whats happening outside the fence.

May 25, 2007
    4. Jul 20, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to rhughes18)

I umpire mostly HS now, but will ump a couple ASA tourneys during the year, and unless someone complains I don't worry about whats happening outside the fence.

What about a catcher warming up a pitcher without a catcher's mask?

(Just curious)

oops

Feb 18, 2001
    5. Jul 20, 2010 4:02 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)
    Not my jurisdiction

...if it is outside the confines of the field. 

There is no FED rule that requires the catcher to wear a mask outside the confines of the field.

(added: Not sure about ASA)

May 25, 2007
    7. Jul 21, 2010 5:02 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Re: Not my jurisdiction

In FL, that also includes "warm-up" areas which to me would include areas adjacent to the field (just outside the fence. Especially if the pitcher is, well  warming up!.

That is what I have been taught in clinics and (even evealuated on). Don't know if I could show it to you in writing.

oops

• JEL_4 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 15, 2003
    8. Jul 21, 2010 5:39 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)
    Re: Not my jurisdiction

FED Case Book 1.7.3B!

Also 3-6-6 authorizes the warm up area.

This tells me that I can allow the warm up outside the fence. This designates a "warm up area" It also tells me that I have the resposiblity to "police" that area.

I'm still not sure about the soft toss net, but think still I may not see it!

Feb 18, 2001
    9. Jul 21, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to JEL_4)
    Here it is in writing

It can be my jurisdiction, but I don't pay attention to whats happening outside the fence while the game is being played.

FED 2-15

The confines of the field includes the field of play, the designated dugout/bench area, any enclosed or clearly marked area designated as a warm-up area that is adjacent to the field and within the view of the umpire(s).

Then Rule 3-6-6 says who is permitted to be outside the dugout/bench or designated warm up areas.

Catcher's are required to wear a mask when warming up the pitcher within the confines of the field and players are not allowed outside the bench or designated warm up areas unless they are the 3-6-6 exceptions.

• m_townASA Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 26, 2001
    11. Jul 28, 2010 7:27 AM (in response to Manny_A)
    Re: Here it is in writing

What I have been told is players have to stay within the confines of the field during the game, with the exception already noted (bathroom, retrieve foul balls).  The confines of the field include any designated warmup area.  So basically at pregame we determine where they can be, if they are outside of there they need to get back into the confines. 

I have been told not to allow players to warm up like is described in the OP, and yes if a catcher is warming up a pitcher who is using a pitching motion she needs a cathers helmet on (not a batting helmet). 

Feb 18, 2001
    12. Jul 28, 2010 9:21 AM (in response to m_townASA)

I do not pay attention to what is going on outside the fence.

If I see a player squating without a mask of course I would tell them to stand up or put on a mask.

If the game is being played I'm only watching what is happening on the field.

May 25, 2007
    13. Jul 28, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to Raymarty)

What area do you work?

oops

Feb 18, 2001
    14. Jul 28, 2010 1:48 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Mostly Central and Western NC. Have called a few games on the Eastern side, but only a hand full in the last 10 years.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...