Skip navigation

3942 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2010 9:27 AM by LarryW RSS
LarryW Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 14, 2000
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2010 6:32 AM

What is the call?

League softball, using ASA rule. Leagues rules: Can only score a maximum of 6 runs per inning. Situation: Bases loaded,2 outs, full count on batter. 5 runs scored for the inning. Ball 4 is a pass ball to the fence. Runner on 3rd races home as catcher races to the ball. I announce ball 4. Runner scores as the catcher tosses ball to pitcher at plate. Coaches are announcing "6 runs let's go". I look at batter and announce "ball 4". Defense is running off the field as the batter looks at me, then retreats to her dugout. She enters the dugout as the defense clears the field. She never did run to 1st. My question: Is the batter out as soon as he enters the dugout, and the 6th run taken off th board? Or, does the defense have to appeal the batter not taking 1st to take the run off the board?

• Az_Umpire Amateur 11 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Oct 3, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to LarryW)
    Re: What is the call?

No appeal. Out. No run scores.

B. No run shall be scored if the third out of the inning is the result of:

1. A batter-runner being called out prior to reaching first base or any other runner forced out due to the batter becoming a batter-runner.  On an appeal play, the force out is determined when the appeal is made, not when the infraction occurred.

Section 2. BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT.

D. When the batter-runner fails to advance to first base and enters the team area after a batted fair ball, a base on balls, a hit batter (Fast Pitch), a dropped third strike, or catcher obstruction.

Paul

• Spazsdad Amateur 33 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Oct 4, 2010 9:30 AM (in response to Az_Umpire)

If you are going to play with modified league rules allowing run limits are you really going to be so nit picky as to call the third out for a walked BR not touching 1st after the final run crosses the plate?

• Spazsdad Amateur 33 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Oct 4, 2010 7:34 PM (in response to LarryW)

Wow dude, you take yourself way to seriously. Have fun with that, I'm sure the coaches and players in the rec league love your "enthusiasm"

• Skahtboi Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 22, 2004
    7. Oct 7, 2010 9:26 AM (in response to LarryW)

It surprises me how people complain that officials don't know the rules when they officiate their games, because of a perceived slight "cost them the game." Yet, when an official displays knowledge of the rules, and claims he will enforce them, the same people who fuss about officials not enforcing the rules say he takes himself "too seriously," and he is "nitpicking" when he actually enforces the rules. Amazing...............

• Skahtboi Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 22, 2004
    8. Oct 7, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to VC_Blue)

During fall ball, I would think everyone would want the rules enforced just as they are during the spring, tournaments...etc. Since fall is for learning, in most regions, it would seem the best way to learn to suffer the penalty of an infraction.

That is how we, like the old adage says, learn from our mistakes.

• VC_Blue Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 14, 2007
    9. Oct 9, 2010 11:06 PM (in response to Skahtboi)

Larry:

During Tournament play I would call it. During Rec/Fall ball I would not. However I would tell the coach what happened and what should have happened. YES, I WOULD GIVE A RULE CLINIC, because sometimes I think we umpires forget that the coach are learning the game at the lower levels just like we had to learn the game.

Now if the other coach came and asked me why I didn't call her out. I would say, "Your right coach, I had a brain fart". I would call the other coach over. Rule the BR out and not score the run.

We should not ignore any of the rules, but that does not mean we always call them. It depends on the age and skill level. Ex. 10u Rec. R1 on 2nd gets lost in the clouds and is standing off 2nd with the ball in the circle. I notice this, I call time, I go out to second with the coach. explain the rule and let her and the coach know the next person I see off the bag with the ball in the circle is out.

So for me when I am umpiring 18G I go by the book. When I am umpiring rec. I do a little coaching.

• MT73 Pro 72 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    10. Oct 11, 2010 4:36 PM (in response to Skahtboi)

In rec ball, especially in leagues that are very weak, I can't help but coach at times.

At one 9 year old game I was showing the catcher where to set up and how to give a target when he turns to his mom and says, "Mommy, I like this umpire. He teaches us stuff"

To which his mom responded," I am glad someone is finally doing so."

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Oct 11, 2010 4:53 PM (in response to MT73)

Was the Mom hot???

oops

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...