Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

85379 Views 414 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 5:56 PM by Mikala_SF Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28 Previous Next
  • lynnski4ya Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 24, 2010 12:26 PM (in response to KurtinSC)
    Re: Slow triathletes - Training for 2011

Thank you for the response... I will most definitely try the techniques described and report back!

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    31. Nov 24, 2010 12:29 PM (in response to Falcon1979)

Falcon, a coach can almost always help, but you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth the money.

When just getting into swimming distances over a length or two, there are a few things that you should work on.

First is body position.  You want your body horizontal in the water and parallell to the pool bottom.  The two things that mess this up are that people tend to let their legs drop and tend to keep their head to elevated.  If you do that, your body is less like this:  --- and more like this / .  That causes your chest and upper legs to "plow" through the water, and that resistance makes it much tougher to maintain any speed.

Second is body rotation.  When swimming the front crawl, the shoulder of the arm that is recovering out of the water should rotate to point nearly straight up to the ceiling, and the shoulder of the arm that is pulling through the water should point nearly straight down.  This lets your pulling arm get down deeper into the less turbulent water further from the surface, which gives you a lot more propulsion from your pulling motion.  The rotation also aids in breathing easier, as your body is on its side as you take a breath, and it also helps with keeping your feet from falling in the water without having to kick extremely hard (which can blow your energy reserves).

And third is body direction.  Many less experienced swimmers tend to undulate a bit with their swimming efforts.  A lot of this is caused by lack of body rotation, but it can also be caused by reaching an arm across the plane of your body, or bending sideways at the waist when you come up for a breath.  It's important to focus on keeping your body on a line, pointed directly at where you want to go.  You kick your feet, pull with your arms, rotate your body and turn your head... but try to imagine a pole going from between your legs and out your head.  That pole should NEVER bend in your normal stroke.  If it does, you are changing directions and causing resistance.

There are lots of other details that can improve speed... things like hand and forearm position during your pull, proper knee and ankle flex in your kicking, flip turn technique for pool swimming and techniques to enhance streamline positioning and reduce drag.  But if you don't have the above steps in control, none of that will matter all that much.

• buck1400 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    32. Nov 25, 2010 4:20 PM (in response to KurtinSC)

Kurt,

Thx for the detailed posts on swim technique.  I am one of those struggling with the swimming portion of the tri also.  I will definitely work on using some of your suggestions.

• BuckeyeGirl1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Nov 25, 2010 7:20 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hello this is my first post but I have decided to train for a Sprint Tri that is in September of 2011.  My work puts on the triathlon every year and I have always volunteered for it but decided this would be the year I would be a competitor.  I was a runner until I got pregnant last year and have not run at all since my son was born in April.  I have to basically build my distance up for all of it but I know when I set out to do something I can do it.  I am overweight at the moment...still haven't lost all of the baby weight.  I'm looking forward to beginning training and having a goal to work towards!

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    34. Nov 26, 2010 11:21 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Well for the second year in a row, I got an early morning "turkey trot" race in on Thanksgiving day.

Last year I did thanksgiving with relatives, so I ended up entering a race in Shreveport, LA.  I was very early into my attempt at getting back into shape, and I probably ended up walking over a mile of the 5K course.  But it did come with an awesome long-sleeve t-shirt.

This year I was at home, so I signed up for a 5 mile (8K) race in town.  This was a no-frills affair where the entry fee was a canned good.  No water stations, no timing chips, no T-shirt... just a few cops to stop traffic and a few hundred people ready to run at 7:30 AM.  It was chilly (for South Carolina) and raining... but I was out there wearing last year's t-shirt and hoping for the best.  I still had been struggling with leg pains of various sorts every time I get over 3 miles running, so I was afraid I might have to walk the back end of the race.

I managed to avoid running too fast out of the gate... mainly because I was stuck behind a group of people going very slow and it took me a while to get around them.  I settled into my pace quickly, but there were some early hills that took a toll.  About a mile and a half in my shins were starting to get sore and I thought the shin splints that hadn't been hurting me for the past few months had come back.  I slowed things down a bit but kept running... and about a mile later I realized that my shins didn't hurt anymore.  This is the first time that I've actually been able to "run through" shin pain like this... so that gave me a huge boost in energy.  I actually started picking up the pace (for me).

The last mile or so the sky really opened up.  That long sleeve cotton shirt felt like it weighed a hundred pounds, but my lungs felt great and my legs felt okay.  I took the last turn, headed up the big hill to the finish and saw a time of exactly 53 minutes... with me not walking a step.  That time was great for me... I really haven't been very close to a 10-minute mile pace at all in my running, but that put me at 10:35 or so.  I can't complain about that at all.

So... after that I'm feeling an olympic distance tri next year may be a realistic expectation.  I've got a timed mile-swim event at the local YMCA on the 18th of December next on the agenda to keep my motivated through my training.  I'm not sure what to expect time wise, but I think a sub 30 minute swim is a reasonable hope.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• hrfaretra Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    35. Nov 26, 2010 7:10 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I am a mom of 3 who works full time and a little overweight.  I started running last spring because I felt like I need to be a healthier role model for my kids and now I am considering training for a sprint triathlon, but am very nervous about the swimming piece.  I  am now up to running 5-6 (very slow- about 11 minute) miles for my long runs and am currently training for a half-marathon, but thinking about a tri after that.  I know that I can get my cycling up to speed with time, but am not a strong or fast swimmer.  I can play in the deep end of the pool with my kids and do a crawl stroke about 20 yards, but not much more.  Does anyone have suggestions for improving my swimming without making a fool of myself at the local Y?

Nov 24, 2010
    36. Nov 29, 2010 6:43 AM (in response to KurtinSC)

Kurt... SO proud of you after reading this post!  Running through shin splint pain is horrible...i have had problems with that as well!  Congrats.  I too went for my run yesterday.  We have a run called the 'Noodleini' here in WI that is a 5K or 15K.  I did the 5K yesterday and was happy with my outcome.  I am suffering from bronchitis at the moment,but did run a good part of the way.  After having to run/walk for part of the race I still only came in just 2 minutes over my expected time.  It was invigorating!

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice on the swimming. I am starting to use your knowledge to my benefit!  Have an awesome day!

Nov 24, 2010
    37. Nov 29, 2010 6:45 AM (in response to BuckeyeGirl1)

Congrats on your committment to your Tri in September!   My tri is in August and I am doing a relay with some friends...I am the swimmer!  Woot!  Remember as a new mom that your body has now changed and sometimes getting back in shape is more difficult.  You need to continue to make time for yourself even though you are a dedicated momma!   Congratulations on the birth of your son!

• SamanthaL77 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 4, 2010
    38. Dec 5, 2010 3:22 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hello. I have been reading the many posts in the thread and find they are very encouraging. I am 33 and just finishing my four-year degree while finding myself inspired to start doing triathlons. I started working towards physical fitness about four years ago and still have a long way to go. But I am hoping to sign up for some races this summer. Being new and a little zealous I am considering a 1/2 marathon early in the summer, a sprint triathlon the end of July and what I think is an Olympic Triathlon in early August. The only competition experience I have is a 5k two years ago and I ran it in 33min. I have mountain biked a fair amount, but have little road bike experience. I am in the process of building up my swimming, but with school and my schedule changing all the time I can't always do things the way I would like. As you all experience with your busy schedules.

I am writing just so I can join in on the conversation and hear some thoughts on my plans for 2011.

Thanks,

Samantha

• SlothNoMore Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010
    40. Dec 6, 2010 5:03 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hi Jo Ann,

I too was disappointed that the moved the Atlanta Iron Girl event up so much.  My original goals were to run/walk the Country Music half marathon and then do the Atlanta sprint tri.  I can'tstill can't fathom completing either of these events right now, let alone both of them within two weeks.  What are your thoughts?  Since you have completed both types of events, is it doable?  I have already committed to training for the half, so I may have to find another tri that is in the June/July time frame.

I have to admit that the holidays and cold weather have slowed my training way down.  Although, I did move and now have a YMCA close by.  Hello spin classes! I will be attending my first ever spin class next weekend. I have got to get over my hate relationship with the bike.

Starting weight: 265; Current weight 245

First 5K: Pumpkin Run 10/2/2010 - 44:37

Banebow 5K Fun Run 10/23/2010 - 43:42

DH Dash 5K/Fun Run 11/6/2010 - 42:19 (PR)

Race to Beat the Blues 5K 3/26/2011 - 42:50

Country Music Half Marathon 4/30/2011 - 3:49:36

• Packratt Expert 47 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    41. Dec 11, 2010 6:07 PM (in response to SlothNoMore)

Well, guys... Just a quick report on my 5k today.  It was a little on the cool side, with a starting temp of 41 degrees.  I didn't break an hour on the run, but I did make it in 1 hour, 14 minutes and 55 seconds.  That's an improvement of 17 minutes and 17 seconds.  Unfortunately, no pics again.  A better report will be forthcoming.

Will Run 4 Food Fun Run (first run) - 1k-(19:46)  5Jun2010 472# | Tulsa Zoo Run 5k (first 5k - 1:34:38) -  2Oct2010 450# | John 3:16 Mission 5k (1:32:15) PR - 23 October 2010 448# | Run Into The New Year 5k (1:11:57) PR - 31 December 2010 427#

UHC 2011 Indoor Triathlon - 13Feb2011 10 Min S - 291 meters, 30 Min B - 4.57 miles, 20 Min R - 0.96 miles. 

- Total points accumulated was 113.2. Placed 3rd in Age Group: 40-49. 426#.

Chili Day Indoor Triathlon - Mar 2011 S 300 yds(10:38 including T1), B 8 mi(22:02), R 2 mi(44:55) (Total Time 1:17:35) 426#

St. Paddy's Day 5k 12 March 2011 (1:14:31) 425# | Race Against Racism 5k  30April

• buck1400 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    42. Dec 11, 2010 6:30 PM (in response to Packratt)

Way to go Pac!  Keep up the great work!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 28 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...