Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

695 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2010 7:36 AM by xm41907 RSS
xm41907 Amateur 15 posts since
Jan 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2010 7:36 AM

Cramp or Pulled Muscle

Yesterday, I ran the Army 10 Miler and developed either a cramp or pulled a muscle but I can't tell which.  My training for this race didn't go as planned due to a bad case of bronchitis right in the middle of training, so I wasn't fully prepared for the race.  However, I did get in a few long runs along with normal mileage the last few weeks.  Topping out with a 8 miler last week.  The race started off great.  I was going strong, not over doing it though.  Everything seemed on track for a great finish and PR.  Around mile 6 I noticed some slight discomfort at the bottom of my hamstring (where the tendon and muscle meet) but I didn't think much about it and kept going. Also, I follow Galloways run/walk method and was doing 2.5/1 for this course.  Several times I stopped and did some stretching (mostly for my calves and achilles tendon).  Around mile 7.5, when I was switching back to running mode, I got about 10 seconds in and had a sharp pain at that spot, back of the knee hamstring tendon area.  I stopped, did some more stretching and tried again.  Same deal.  Over the next .5 mile I tried to stretch it out and get back to running but at mile 8 I decided to just walk the rest of the race.  It slowly increased to where I was hobbling more than walking at the end.  I went to the medic tent and the doctor wasn't sure if I'd cramped or if I'd pulled a muscle.  When I got home, I stretched every half hour or so and iced it.  The pain  is still there today, not near as bad, but still present.  Today feels different than yesterday, more like I over did it than the sharp pain I had yesterday.

My question, does this sound more like cramps or a pulled muscle?  I just signed up for the Shamrock Marathon in March and have a few weeks to relax before starting training.  I want to make sure and do what I need to not have this happen during the marathon.  Any suggestions as to cramping or pulled muscle, and what I should do to avoid it?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...