Skip navigation

5102 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 10:41 PM by Jessicanicko RSS
Jessicanicko Amateur 16 posts since
Mar 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2010 6:42 PM

Is 1 year enough time to train for a marathon?

I've always been somewhat of a runner, but not a distance runner. I think I learned to love distance while at basic training where I ran my first 5 miles without stopping and walked my first 10 miles. I never thought I'd ever be able to do that. I recently decided to set the ambitious goal of running a marathon (2011) although I've never done anything longer than a 10K. Some people have told me that 1 year is not enough time to prepare since I'm not a consistent runner. Little do they know, I am VERY stubborn and telling me no is like fueling the fire. I want to do it for me, but I also want to do it for my cousin I lost in July. He was a Marine and died while trying to rescue an Afghan officer from a river. He was a runner and I'd like to finish the race for him. I figure, these men and women are out there every day risking their lives so that we can exercise our freedoms such as running. So... what do you think, Is 1 year enough time to train for a marathon? I'm already a month in.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Oct 25, 2010 7:09 PM (in response to Jessicanicko)
    Re: Is 1 year enough time to train for a marathon?

One year well spent is plenty long enough for a healthy person to RUN a marathon; the nay-sayers are right in that one year may not be long enough to prepare for many people to RACE a marathon.  How would your cousin have told you to train?  Build slowly, rest systematically, keep your nutrition solid, and let that stubborn streak be an asset, not a liability.   All the best!

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 26, 2010 1:49 AM (in response to Jessicanicko)

My condolences on your loss. You may consider running for the Semper Fi charity......

There are studies indicating that the hearts of undertrained runners exhibit some degree of damage after a marathon. Researchers such as Melissa Wood note that this damage is mitigated in runners doing 45 miles per week or more in training. If you're already a healthy runner, a year is ample time to build up to this level and arrive at the starting line with ample preparation to do the distance.

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    3. Oct 26, 2010 2:50 AM (in response to Jessicanicko)

Jessica - you definitely have this! I started out as a runner who normally did a 3 mile run 3-5 days a week. I had don a few 10k's. That's as far as I had ever gone in one day. When the mood struck to do a marathon, I simply pumped up my runs. I was still running 3-5 days a week but each month I I creased my distance by a mile. When I was doing 6 miles on each run, I felt ready for a proper marathon training program. Take a look on line - there are many to choose from and all by my study have similar attributes: Higdon and First are popular, but take a look around and find one that fits. Lay out the plan on your calendar that includes your life and work and move the training runs around as necessary to fit it all in. Be attentive to proper recovery and rest days. Talk to people as you go along - this board is a great start - gurus galore. Once you verbalize your goals it's a lot easier to work out the kinks of scheduling, soreness, or grouchy boredom. Sorry for the typos in this - I'm trying to tap it out on my iPhone and I'm having trouble with my ham-fisted thumb. I just wanted to let you know that YES, one year is definitely enough. Go for it. You won't regret it.

• cjmruns Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 26, 2010 4:55 AM (in response to Jessicanicko)

I went from sedentary, 2 pack a day smoker to finishing a marathon in 349 days.  It wasn't beautiful but I did it. 
    Good luck and sorry for your loss.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Oct 26, 2010 5:05 AM (in response to cjmruns)

Keep building your base miles, pick a 1/2 marathon 6 months out.  You can do this, you will have struggles along the way, we all have them.  Pick your race and go for it!

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Oct 26, 2010 5:09 AM (in response to cjmruns)

Dammn straight you can do this in a year!  Most novice training plans for a marathon start 4 months out from the race, and assume that at the beginning of the training plan you can handle a 10 mile run.  They ramp up steadily from there, week by week, until you can eventually handle 20 miles.  Along the way you'll grow in confidence and by the time you do a 20-miler you'll know you can do this.  Go for it!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• Lauracooks Pro 76 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    7. Oct 26, 2010 5:13 AM (in response to Jessicanicko)

Sure, most plans are for 18 weeks asumeing a base level of fitness. I started training for a 1/2 marathon in sept of '09 and just kept going. I ran my 1st marathon 5 months later. It gets to be addictive. I am runnin 3 this year. Go for it you'll be glad!

Lauracooks

Previous

'10 Zoo Run Run 25:31

'10 Strawbeerry Classic 10k 55:06

'10 Clearwater HM 2:02:14

'10 Space Coast Marathon 4:13:10

'11 Dances With Dirt Trail Marathon 5:54:34

'11 Bolt Run 5M 44:04

Upcoming

'11 Florida Youth Ranch Marathon

'11 Trout Creek 15K

'11 John Holmes Run/Croom 15m

'11 Wisconsin Marathon

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,327 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    9. Oct 26, 2010 4:33 PM (in response to Jessicanicko)

Check the MCM website regularly (www.marinemarathon.com).  According to the latest newsletter, online registration for the 2011 MCM starts Feb. 23.

Len

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Oct 27, 2010 1:46 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

And MCM registration closes fairly soon thereafter. So, if you want to be sure to get in, register soon after it opens.

• MumToMarathon Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 27, 2010
    12. Oct 27, 2010 10:05 PM (in response to Jessicanicko)

Hi Jessica,

Good on You! I certainly hope it's possible because I've taken up the challenge too. I'm running a marathon next June and started training 5 weeks ago, so I've actually given myself less than one year.

8 months ago I had my fourth child and decided it was time to get back in shape. Like you I've always been a casual runner. After my third child I built up to my first half marathon but then stopped running all together when I discovered I was pregnant again.

So now I'm going for the marathon.

I've even started a blog http://mumtomarathon.com to keep me on track and hopefully inspire other parents to have a go.

From what I've read if you can run 16km and are running 50km per week then you are ready to train for a marathon. Until then you just need to build up your distance. If you are fit and healthy then you will probably be able to build up from 10 km to 16km in a couple of months.  Allowing another six months training for a marathon should be reasonable.

Good Luck!

Find the time...it's worth it.

Mum To Marathon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points