Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2184 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2010 7:31 AM by thedevotedrunner RSS
LincolnBDC Rookie 5 posts since
Oct 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2010 7:32 AM

Starting my training today...

I'm a new runner, gearing up to complete the Rock 'n' Roll Savannah Marathon in November 2011. I figured it's never too early to start training. I'm planning to start with Hal Higdon's 12-week Basic Training Plan, then eventually make my way to the 18-week Novice Marathon Training Plan before the big day. I just wanted to introduce myself, and I'm looking forward to all the advice and tips you seasoned runners can give me. I'm also looking forward to the support of fellow newbies, and offering my support as well.

"Whoever is open, loyal, true; of humane and affable demeanour; honourable himself, and in his judgement of others; faithful to his word as to law, and faithful alike to God and man....such a man is a true gentleman." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• richc24 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    1. Oct 26, 2010 9:59 AM (in response to LincolnBDC)
    Re: Starting my training today...

Good luck bro!

Have you done any races before?

I want to run my first marathon in 2011 as well and I'm going to start working towards that goal next week.

Keep us updated!

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Oct 26, 2010 12:28 PM (in response to LincolnBDC)

Congrats on your decision to start your new lifestyle.  Rock and Roll marathons are a lot of fun to do. I have never run one, but I know several who have and they love them. 

You made a wise decision to start training 12 months prior.  The SOONEST that a new runner should think about running a full marathon is 10 months.

By Hal's "Basic" plan, I assume you mean the 5k plan.  That is a great place to start.  After that, look at a half marathon plan.  This should give you enough base to start the training for a full marathon.

Be warned. It is a huge time commitment.  You will be putting in 30-40 miles or more each week.  That is 5-10 hours a week.  Be prepared to set aside 3-5 hours for your long runs during marathon training.

Good luck on your training.  Start slow, build slow.  This will help avoid injury.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    3. Oct 26, 2010 12:31 PM (in response to thedevotedrunner)

GOOD LUCK!!  I admire those taking on marathon training. 

@Thedevotedrunner:  I just wanted to say how much I appreciated the tone of your post  So positive.  It encouraged me and it wasn't even for me.  Just saying.

thedevotedrunner wrote:

Congrats on your decision to start your new lifestyle.  Rock and Roll marathons are a lot of fun to do. I have never run one, but I know several who have and they love them. 

You made a wise decision to start training 12 months prior.  The SOONEST that a new runner should think about running a full marathon is 10 months.

By Hal's "Basic" plan, I assume you mean the 5k plan.  That is a great place to start.  After that, look at a half marathon plan.  This should give you enough base to start the training for a full marathon.

Be warned. It is a huge time commitment.  You will be putting in 30-40 miles or more each week.  That is 5-10 hours a week.  Be prepared to set aside 3-5 hours for your long runs during marathon training.

Good luck on your training.  Start slow, build slow.  This will help avoid injury.

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 26, 2010 7:32 PM (in response to LincolnBDC)

Good Luck! 

Jul 7, 2009
    5. Oct 26, 2010 11:25 PM (in response to yogabudorunner)

yogabudorunner Awww. Tanks! (blushes like a school girl)

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

Flollow me on twitter

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    6. Oct 27, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to LincolnBDC)

Welcome and good luck!  I think it's super smart to start training a full year ahead if your going to do a marathon.  Following a training plan is also a very smart way to do it if you want to get through properly trained and injury free.  If I can offer any advice that I've learned along the way is be patient, be realistic about your goals and your progress and take the time to enjoy your running. It can be really demanding doing 3-4hr long runs (especially the first year) and getting up early on those cold winter days to do your runs when all you want to do is sleep in but the pride, satisfaction and accomplishment you feel as you progress is so awesome!  Plus for me anyway, my health has improved 10 fold.  I sleep better, eat better and just generally feel stronger and stronger every year that I run.  What a great trip!!  Good luck and have a blast!!  Lots of great people in this sport also!

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

Jul 7, 2009
    8. Oct 29, 2010 7:31 AM (in response to LincolnBDC)

I'm glad you are starting with a class.  That is a GREAT way to start.  you can join others in shared experiences, and draw motivation and encouragement from each other.  It is good that you are on a basic plan.  FOLLOW IT.  Don't add extra days because you think you can handle it.  Run when it says run REST WHEN IT SAYS REST.  It can be a temptation to run on rest days, but the rest days are there for a reason.

Good luck with your training.

St3ven

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...