Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2094 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 6:33 PM by ColoCorredor
Jessicanicko Amateur 16 posts since
Mar 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2010 10:23 PM

Team in Training?

I received a flyer in the mail about an organization called Team in Training. I guess you raise money for blood cancers and they train you in either running a marathon, cycling,or for a triathlon.Has anyone done this? I signed up to go to the info meeting but wanted to get some info before.

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Oct 27, 2010 11:50 PM (in response to Jessicanicko)
    Re: Team in Training?

I've never been part of thier team, but to ease your fears, they ARE legit.  Many people train and run marathons this way. They will set up a training plan, and in some cases, fly you to the event (I think).  Race entry is included.  Your commitment comes in the way of raising money for the organization  For you to qualify to run the race, you have to raise a certain amount.   They will explain all the details.  From what I understand it is a great orgainization.  May people run Boston using their services.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 28, 2010 5:31 AM (in response to Jessicanicko)

I have a friend who runs the Wilmington NC Team in Training.  I have never run for them but help him on Sat's with the groups long runs.  As stated above they all stay at the same motel and fly together to the event, you have to raise money for the charity.  Best part of it to me is mostly it is all first timers that do long runs together, his group has some of the local runners run and coach them during long runs,  We also put put water in spots for them.  Good spot for 1st timers who like group support.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    4. Dec 23, 2010 6:33 PM (in response to Jessicanicko)

Team in Training (aka TNT) is an awesome organization and way to train for your first half or full marathon event.  You do raise money, but I had NOOOO problems at all raising the money.  My chapter had a silent auction event, and I went to every local business that I liked (Lucky Strike, restaurants, hotels, pottery classes, gyms, etc...) and almost everyone was willing to donate something if I had all of the paperwork ready and with me to file it with their taxes.  If you do that, I promise you will have no problem on the funds side.  Even if TNT doesn't organize the event, local businesses are happy to help you hold an an event at their location.  Bars, art galleries, etc.  Just get creative!

After the money part is solved, the rest of the experience is just AWESOME!  You have a whole group of people motivating your through each run, trainers keeping you on track, and giving you tips, and just the best overall experience!!

I hope that you decided to join the TNT team, and encourage all others considering it to do so also.  You won't regret it!

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...