Skip navigation

2167 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2010 12:34 PM by radugswasatch RSS
textme Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 28, 2010 9:41 AM

Tracking runners during the race

Is there an option this year to receive updates for a particular runner via text message? Or is the only way to track a runner through that special iphone/android app that requires the runner to run with his/her phone?

• gorich Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 29, 2008
    1. Oct 28, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to textme)
    Re: Tracking runners during the race

from the website......boooooooo

http://www.marinemarathon.com/race_info/spectators.htm

Spectators

HOW TO TRACK A RUNNER
    Spectators may track a runner's progress on MCM Day through the MCM Website.  Live splits from every 5K and finish data will be available immediately on the results page.  New in 2010 and now available on iTunes, MCM's iPhone and Android app RaceMate integrates GPS technology into the MCM course map providing exact locations to coordinate on-course runner/supporter link up or, for faraway spectators, to monitor a marathoner’s progress.  There is no runner tracking text messaging service in 2010.  Splits and results data will be available at the HP, Check Your Runner station in the Finish Festival.

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Oct 28, 2010 10:59 AM (in response to textme)

It SUCKS OUT LOUD!!! I won't be able to track friends this year.  Is this how the Marines work?? Are these our hard earned tax dollars at work??? hehe.  Seriously.  I don't know of anyone who takes their phone with them in a race.  Training runs, sure, but not a race.  But maybe that's just me.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 28, 2010 4:03 PM (in response to textme)

Geeze... I was just talking to a long-term running dude at the local tri-shop.  He was asking about fuel, and I told him what they were planning on the route.  He said "My first run they had water... when they started with energy bars it was a huge deal."

I guess we'll all complain if they don't feed us along the way?

I'm glad they can let my family track me in some way... yea, the text tracking sounds like a good idea, but it seemed to not work so well in application.

Grace and peace,

Michael

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• radugswasatch Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 11, 2008
    5. Oct 29, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to mikehelvey)

yeah -- i carry my phone in training, but only in the camelbak on long runs.  can't imagine that thing bouncing for 3 hours.

text is better, even with the splits, but they've been so far behind in the past 3 years i've run that it was almost worthless.

can still track by the webpage, this year apparently results / splits are going to be live.  but again, that'll probably be delayed, and of course dependent on getting service to your phone as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points