Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4268 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2010 5:49 AM by escarle1 RSS
Jessicanicko Amateur 16 posts since
Mar 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 28, 2010 9:20 PM

WHY AM I SO HUNGRY?

I've been working out for about a month now and for the past 2 weeks I've been starving. It feels like no matter how much I eat, I cant get full. Well, I'll be full for a few minutes then it's back to being hungary again. I dont just feel hungry, I feel like I havent eaten for 2 days. I used to be able to go the entire day without eating and now I cant go an hour. What's wrong with me?

• LittleKi Amateur 7 posts since
    Oct 28, 2010
    1. Oct 28, 2010 9:39 PM (in response to Jessicanicko)
    Re: WHY AM I SO HUNGRY?

Oh boy, do I feel you. 

The body wants to stay in homeostasis, meaning it is designed to prevent things from changing.    So, when people suddenly start burning more calories, the body ramps up the appetite to try to keep you at the same weight.   This is why it is so difficult for people to lose weight; the body is designed to fight it. 

The good news is that it does get easier.   I've lost about 25 pounds over the last year and put on a great deal of muscle.  I didn't lose much the first few months because I was so hungry.  Then, my appetite abated and I was able to do my daily activities without feeling like I needed to constantly be eating.  Then the weight started to melt off.    I know for me, the first few months were the hardest part because my body was really quite confused about what I was asking it to do.   If you can keep at it long enough to get over that first major hurdle, the hunger will pass.  In the meantime, make sure what you do eat is nutritious. 

• escarle1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    3. Nov 4, 2010 5:49 AM (in response to Jessicanicko)
    Re: WHY AM I SO HUNGRY?

Also just make sure you don't have any thyroid issues. This probably isn't the case, don't want to scare you or anything and it is true your body does need to adapt but I had such an issue as I was hungry a lot! Also different types of exercise will make me feel more hungry than others. For example right after running I cannot eat anything but after swimming or biking I have more of an appetite.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points