Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1439 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 8:31 AM by Surfing_Vol
racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
Oct 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2010 10:23 AM

2 mile mark stomach cramps...  anyone else?

I have really been enjoying running as of late, participating in a couple 5ks and a 10k so far.  what I've found is that come mile 2, no fail, I start to feel low stomach cramps.  I am very mindful of my diet the day of and before races or even for after work 3-4 mile runs.  I have found other threads on this, but none particularly current, and was hoping for some insight/advice.  I've pushed through the pain, but I know it has slowed me down, let alone being very discouraging as I try to improve my times and increase distance.

Thanks!!

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Oct 29, 2010 12:23 PM (in response to racebug313)
    Re: 2 mile mark stomach cramps... anyone else?

Are you talking stomach,as in where the food goes, or side stiches??

Many people get side stiches when they run.  It is usually a breathing issue. Try to switch up your breathing pattern.  For instance, if you normally breath in on the left foot and out on the right, switch.  Or switch to where you breathing is not tied to your cadence at all.  This might help.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Nov 1, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to racebug313)

Yeah, the Hand over the head thing doesn't work for me.  The best way to avoid stitches is to not tie your breathing to your cadence. Just breathe deep and slow.

As far as the cramps, can't help you much.  I get them after a couple of hours, but not as early as 2 miles.  Are you hydrating enoug?? Maybe try eating 1/2 a bannana half hour or so before you run??? Don't know.  My initial, uneducated stab in the dark would be low hydration levels, or not eating close enough to the run.  Look at the older posts.  Even if they are old, the will still apply.  The way the body works doesn't change.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Nov 1, 2010 8:31 AM (in response to racebug313)

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...