Skip navigation

1685 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 3:40 PM by ultimatebball
Fox97 Pro 94 posts since
Jul 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2010 7:52 AM

Confidence

Hey guys, recently I played my worst game ever. I had alot of mental errors and didn't look to score. Now I have a big tournament this week and I am struggling to regain my confidence. PLEASE HELP!!!

Message was edited by: Fox97

• Pointguard1995 Legend 304 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    1. Oct 31, 2010 4:15 PM (in response to Fox97)
    Re: Confidence

Its all about having a short memory.Whether the game you played was good or bad,you have to completely forget all about it and put all your concentration to the next game.

• Legendary23 Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    2. Oct 31, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to Pointguard1995)

All sports are a huge mental game . Breath, loosen up. that games all in the past now. everyone has a bad game every once in a while. actually just recently dwyane wade only scored 2 points. and literally didnt get anything else, next day against orland he ot 26 points and 11 assists. just forget about that game and look towards the Turny.

Good luck man!!

• thementalcoach Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    3. Nov 1, 2010 8:33 AM (in response to Fox97)

When you've had a bad game and you're wondering why you even bother  playing, here are three mental game tools you can use to take a step  back and regroup to bring out that great player inside of you.

1)  Write down exactly why you play basketball - sometimes we get so caught  up in the moment we forget why we play. This is a great way of  reminding yourself.

2) Write down every success playing  basketball that you can remember. A bad experience can push great  successes out of our minds. This will help you bring them back. For a  power stroke, what I suggest is take your greatest success and link it  to something you can carry with you (a bracelet, necklace, etc.).  Looking at it, touching it, will remind you powerfully that you've got  what it takes, because you've already done it.

3) Focus on what you want, not what you want to avoid. If you've  done steps one and two, you've reminded yourself powerfully why you play  basketball and the successes you've had. Now it's time to start  focusing on what you want (making the shot) instead of what you want to  avoid (missing the shot). Michael Jordan did this. In pressure  situations, what he focused on was all of the great shots he made, which  automatically helped him focus on making the one in front of him.

I teach these three steps to the players I work with. They help them and they can help you too.

David Kenward - The Mental Coach
    Solving problems with the mental game, quickly, so you can do your best under pressure in competition

http://www.TheMentalCoach.com

• aggresive Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    4. Nov 12, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to thementalcoach)

Forget the past !!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!! Shout that ball Like you know you can , pass that ball Like you are Rondo !!! Sorry Im a Celtics fan. The point is . Every time you are on that court focus on now. So just do it,

• ultimatebball Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    5. Nov 12, 2010 3:40 PM (in response to Fox97)

Bad games are going to happen every once in awhile dont for get about yet learn from your mistakes then remember why you started playing basketball and just start over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points