Skip navigation

3848 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2010 6:38 AM by dutch omi RSS 1 2 Previous Next
RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2010 4:46 PM

A PR for me...

1st ever DNF.

MCM was a flop for me this year...so bummed!  I should have deferred with my growing list of injuries/aches/pains, but nooo, my stubborn side took over and so I attempted the race. I called it quits at mile 17. Just sat down on a park bench and said, "I AM DONE." It was impossible to keep moving forward. THE PAIN. THE BLINDNESS. Yes, I am going blind (hopefully just a temporary thing). I think I saw Len at one point, but wasn't sure. Was that you? I'm sorry for not  recognizing you. I didn't want to humiliate myself anymore. Poor guy at mile 8.  Thought he was my usband. I yelled and waved wildly at some stranger. Glad I didn't try to hug him or kiss him. My heart wasn't in it this year. I hope to heal up and rest, so I can train smarter and actually finish my next race, pain free. I'm burned out. The medal was nice, but I didn't get to bring one home with me today. I was so jealous, I cried. Boo Hoo!! I know I'll just suck it up and keep running.

Love you guys so much! Thank you for all the encouragements and advice through the years. I couldn't have achieved 4 MCM's without you all.

Love,

RUBY

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 31, 2010 4:40 PM (in response to RubyBPG)
    Re: A PR for me...

Sorry to hear about that... sounds like despite going against your better judgement, you gave it your all.  Next year...

Grace and peace,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• Colorado Dreaming Pro 73 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    3. Oct 31, 2010 4:54 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

It is okay my friend.  You did the right thing. When Saturday morning brought  my raging earache and vertigo, and the dr. said no marathon you have a severe infection, as much as I wanted to finish what I started, it was just time to say another day.  So we will move on and we have all those trails to look forward to in the future.  We will talk soon.

MCM 2010 -  Organization for Autism Research (OAR)

- Run for Autism  http://firstgiving.com/debbyandkendrasmith

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    5. Oct 31, 2010 5:20 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby,

Yes Im sorry to hear about your setback, all you can say is you tryed your best and it wasnt your day. Me and Doreen will send you awesome Vibes so you dont feel bad as you have nothing to feel bad about...........

Take care My Sister,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Oct 31, 2010 7:24 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the marathon, and particularly your medical problems.  I hope you can get it cured.

I passed 8 miles in about 1:23.  Big, big mistake.  I did the first 5 miles accompanying the flag (about 50 feet back the last half mile).  I hit 5 miles in 51 minutes.  Too fast for me in a marathon.  My day did not go well.  Even though I thought about bagging it a couple times, I managed to finish in one of my worst times.  I definitely have some things to figure out.

Len

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    7. Nov 1, 2010 6:50 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Aw nuts, Ruby.  So sorry to hear you had a bad day.  Sending you healing vibes right now for health, wellness, peace of mind, and vigor to begin again.  I hope you get your issues ironed out soon and you can have a do over on some other day and this will all get forgotten. <3

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    9. Nov 1, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

I'm very sorry to hear that you weren't able to finish, Ruby. But sometimes I think that as much as we really want to, we need to listen to what our body is telling us. There will be other marathons and other medals, and you will shine as brightly as the medals!

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    10. Nov 1, 2010 12:01 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby,

You got out there and you gave it your best shot.  We have all been there and what you did on race day took more courage that it does to push through for the distance.  Like Len, I went out faster than I should have for a marathon and I knew it, resulting in a not so stellar performance. Give yourself a break, relax and assess what you can do better.  See you next year!

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    11. Nov 2, 2010 8:00 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby,

I hope you get better real soon, I too had a very bad day, at mile 2 1st hill I could tell it was going to be bad, and it never got better.  You know you are in trouble when your mind is playing ticks on you at mile 2.  You gave it your all, that is all any of us can do, take care of yourself and get well soon.  V/R Phillip

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Nov 2, 2010 5:22 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Oh Rubes. So so sorry you're having so much trouble and pain. Rest up, my dear. Heal. You'll come back stronger than ever. Love you, girl.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    13. Nov 2, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to thefirecat)

Ruby, remember we're all here for you.  Rest and recover, take care of your medical problems, and you'll be back.

I meant to say I thought I heard my name called a couple times, but could never figure out what was real and what was imagined!

P.S.  I DNF'd in '08.  First and only race ever (so far).  All you can do is take your lessons and move forward.

Len

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    14. Nov 2, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Awww, Ruby, that just stinks and I feel so bad for you.  Though I still think you surely made the right decision and it's just one of those things.  But the disappointment must have been pretty bad.  We talked about you and hoped we would see you this weekend!  Get well and get back out there.  Hang in there, girl!

Nita

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...