Skip navigation

1904 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2010 8:38 AM by mlutfi
runner201 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2010 5:40 AM

RaceMate iPhone App Feedback

Did ANYONE get this app to work for them on raceday?  I felt bad for my friends that were forced to spend $1.99 to track me and got NOTHING for it.

• Stevo25 Amateur 15 posts since
    May 24, 2009
    1. Nov 1, 2010 9:06 AM (in response to runner201)
    Re: RaceMate iPhone App Feedback

Didn't work for me or my GF.  Spoke to a gentleman on the flight home this morning and it didn't work for him or his wife either.

And to think, I agreed to carry my cell phone with me ONLY because of this app.  That probably added 15 or 18 minutes to my finishing time!  LOL!!  J/K!!!

This might be my only issue with this race.  They should have created a free app if there was any thought that this might not work.

• SherylMarshall Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 16, 2008
    2. Nov 1, 2010 11:40 AM (in response to runner201)

This App did not work for my family either.  In fact, my sister was standing next two two other people who were experiencing the same problem. I was very disappointed in this

• Daryoush Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2010
    3. Nov 1, 2010 12:12 PM (in response to runner201)

RaceMate is offering a refund:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/racemate-marine-corps-marathon-iphone-app/racemate-refunds/162148717151107

they acknowledge that the app didn't work due to server capacity issues.

• radugswasatch Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 11, 2008
    4. Nov 1, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to runner201)

would like to say i'm surprised.  not even the live results web page worked as a backup.    great race, everything else goes off without a hitch. but i'm confused as to how they don't stress test these apps or services for more than 5X the number of runners.

• UALJarhead Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 7, 2009
    5. Nov 1, 2010 8:38 PM (in response to runner201)

I had a pretty good feeling that the app would not work after downloading the update the night before the race. First of all, when I read the details in the update that discussed buying an external battery for your phone, I realized that the app would have the GPS active continuously. My brand new iPhone died less than two hours into the race. Of course, this also meant that I was without any phone capabilities after the race ended. I found it interesting that the app was released less than two days before the race, and it recommended trying "a long training run with the app running". Seriously? The other recommendation was to start the app a few minutes before the race starts ... then turn the app off for miles 10-20 ... then turn it on again. For real? This app needs to be re-designed to at least be able to extend the battery long enough to endure an average runner's marathon. Maybe an adjustable position update interval ... every two minutes or every mile or something.

Great marketing and great app ... but it over-promised and under-delivered.

I'll try for the refund out of principle.

• mlutfi Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    6. Nov 2, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to UALJarhead)

For the all the people from RaceMate

Thank you having me carry around my iPhone with mophie juice pack (DEAD WEIGHT) for 26.2 miles.

Thank you for reducing the amount of storage space I have in my energy pouch.

Thank you for frustrating my wife and family because they can't locate me.

Finally thank you for killing my phone so I can't call my family to locate them after the race.

Seriously I believe the cost to recover from this failure is going to be more than the cost of the backup/additional servers and load testing you should have had for this event.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points