Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1502 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 11:18 PM by thedevotedrunner RSS
Gradientshift Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2010 7:16 AM

Doubling C25K

Hello! I am 18, recently started running about 2 months ago, started at being able to run not very far, now I can jog upwards to about half a mile non stop.

Now a friend I was running with put me onto this program, and I started it. But, honestly, it doesnt feel like I am doing a lot. what I have been doing is running/jogging/walking a total of 8 miles a day, 4 in the am, 4 in the pm, while also on about a 1200 calorie diet. ( I am joining the Marines at the end of freshmen year.) I burn 2-3 pounds a week. I am also doing, not so much weight training, put intense pullups/situps/pushups. close to 200 of each a day, while pullups only about 100 throughout the day. Pyramid training with the pullups

I am 6"1' Large framed, of about 225 pounds right now. I started around 249 2-3 months ago. I don't have the "fat" look to me. But I am big and thick. my weight is carried in my lovehandles, and stomach.

My main question is could I increase the C25K program, to say 2 times a day, 5 times a week? Or would this be unwise and unsafe? Because my goal is to be able to run the 5k, I will need to for when I join the Marines, but I also want to lose weight in the process.

And also, would going and getting some running shoes, from a running shore made to fit me, be better then say just a walmart pair?

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    1. Nov 1, 2010 8:08 AM (in response to Gradientshift)
    Re: Doubling C25K

I would not do the program twice a day -- your body needs time to recover and heal. If it is too easy for you, skip forward a few weeks in the program. It is my understanding that the program was designed for people who were sedentary, and need to gradually increase their stamina and strength.

Definitely go to a running store -- not just a sporting goods store -- to get your shoes. They will look at your foot, do a gait analysis, find out how much you're running/plan to run, and should give you a few different shoes to try on.  You might spend more than in WalMart, but it will be worth it!

Good luck with the running, and with basic training!

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Nov 1, 2010 9:35 AM (in response to Gradientshift)

There is a common misconception, particularly among the military (I was active army for 5.5 years and am currently a reserve soldier) that the only way to train is "Bigger, Stronger, Faster".  THIS IS FLAT OUT WRONG!!!!!

Belive it or not, you body does not get stronger from training (yeah, I know...I'm a nut).  It gets stronger from REST.  Yup, heard me right.  REST!! Look at the way God designed your body. You go all day, but then there comes a time when you have to REST.  You regain your energy. When you awake, you are refreshed and ready to tackle another day.   Workouts are no different.

That DOES NOT, however mean that you should only train 3-4 days a week.  If I am reading your post right, you are running 5 days a week (or were) and strength training 5 days a week.

Here us my suggestion:

1) Run 3 days a week as the plan says. Don't worry about speed. That will come. If you are only running .5 mile at a time after 2 months, my instinct is that you are running it too fast.  Slow it down. Run longer.  The endurance will pay off in speed. Don't double up the runs. Too much, too soon leads to injury.  I know you are interested in weight loss, but doubling up on the running will not have enough of an effect to change the results.  The biggest boost running has on weight loss (at least at your stage of the game) is an increased metabolism. Running once a day will be enough to acheive that result.  Plus, you will ALSO get a metabolism boost in your strength training.

2) Continue your strength training, but cut back to 3 days/week alternating running and strength training days. By alternating running and strenght trainng days, your lower body gets a good workout on running days, and upper body on strength training days.  The reverse is also true.  Lower body gets a rest on strength training days and upper body rests on running days. Strength training is a great way to lose weight. It turns your body into a caloric inferno.  Focus on abs and core work.  THAT is the ticket in all that you do.

3) EAT MORE!!!!! This is going to sound counter productive.  Based on the information you gave me, your Basal metabolic rate is about 2300 calories.  This means if you were to lay in bed all day and do nothing, your normal body functions would burn 2300 calories.  You are burning more than that.  Probably around 2800-3000. If your calorie deficit is TOO low, you risk not having enough energy to get through the day.  I would up your calories to 1500-1800 and see how that goes.  Eat 3 meals, and 1-2 small snacks through the day (the 100 calorie snacks are great).  This gives your body continuous fueling thorugh out the day, and your body will feel more free to release the stored energy (fat).

4) Focus on running form: Ther is a correct form for all sports.  Running is no different.  Google "Chi Running", "Forefoot running", "Natural running", "Pose running" ...they are all basically the same thing.  Running with good form will increase your distance and speed while using the same ammount of energy.

Sorry this was kind of long.  Hope it helps.

BTW, GREAT job on the kick *** weight loss.

Semper Fi

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    4. Nov 1, 2010 11:18 PM (in response to Gradientshift)

Running 1 mile is great.  Don't worry. That is not uncommon.  One thing you have to understand about the military.  Teaching push ups and sit ups is easy, just do more (those programs are great by the way). But many military members know NOTHING about HOW to run.  The approach it like push ups and sit ups.  Just run more.. Just run faster.  That is not always the key.  In order to run faster, you need SOME speedwork, but you also need endurance.  That is why 5k programs will often have you doing 10 mile long runs on the weekends.

Don't worry, you will get there.  Just keep with the plan.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points