Skip navigation

1419 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 1:53 PM by TG. RSS
select baseball Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 29, 2010 8:24 PM

14u players needed to fill roster for 2011

we are a 14 u select team in st.charles looking for players who are competative for 2011 season if you would like to tryout please call coach keith at 636 219-6913

• Chalkline Legend 543 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Oct 29, 2010 8:39 PM (in response to select baseball)
    Re: 14u players needed to fill roster for 2011

May i suggest for your 14u competative players?

Switch over to the new BBCOR bats that are now hitting the market.

Some going for $399.99? to $99.99?

SSDD...(Same Sheet Different Day)...but with less pop. 

• Daque Legend 208 posts since
    Jul 1, 2003
    2. Oct 30, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to Chalkline)

Select team?  I thought select means that coaches run around scouting players in the area and inviting them to play for him.  On the other hand, travel teams have tryouts.  Has the terminology changed or is it like calling baseball spikes cleats?

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Oct 30, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to Daque)

Apparantly Coach Keith has taken the "I'll sit here and await these SELECT PLayers to come to my doorstep".  LOL...SELECT MY BUTT.  How about getting off ur butt and firstly post in the right part of eteamz and second, go look for players (its called scouting)??????   TM

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    4. Nov 1, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to ROUNDING_3RD)

A "select team" is a 17/18U college prospect showcase team where the program selects the players they want to help promote. The staff has access to collge programs and coaching staffs. There are a lot of pre high school travel teams calling themselves "select" who are poorly coached and suck. 

• ROUNDING_3RD Expert 57 posts since
    Jun 6, 2008
    5. Nov 1, 2010 1:04 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

the two top prospect games (hint one was played in Sand Diego this year the other in Chicago, both at MLB parks) have players TRYOUT for them, sometimes multiple levels of tryout required.  Then they receive an invite to play on team if they are chosen.

Being "selected" to go to showcase is one thing being selected to play in the AFLAC or UA classic is another step up.

I think there is a compulsion to take what is done at the top and step it down a notch, and then another and then another.  I know many of the kids that were in Vegas this weekend with "select" teams.  The talent varied from legit D1 committeds and prospects to kids hoping to start on their HS team this year.  A local HS coach who also handles a "select" club in the area cherry picked the HS team pitchers for the tourn, and sent the rest of his Varsity HS team with JV pitching there as separate team, to be coached by assistant.

Cash grab at $475 a kid.  Whatever, I am a free market guy.  If people have that kind of dillusions about their kids, and want to drop a bill or more to go to vegas for the weekend, keep your dream alive, and feed those who are more than willing to take your cash. 

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    6. Nov 1, 2010 1:53 PM (in response to TG.)

"the two top prospect games (hint one was played in San Diego this year the other in Chicago, both at MLB parks) have players TRYOUT for them, sometimes multiple levels of tryout required. Then they receive an invite to play on team if they are chosen."

We're talking about local travel teams. This is an entirely different level of ball most people don't even know about. It's an honor to be asked to tryout for these teams. Just being asked to tryout is a resume bullet even if the kid doesn't make the team.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...