Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3051 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2007 6:27 PM by mistaSteve RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 30, 2007 11:37 AM (in response to Tawan)
    Re: Can Christians practice yoga?

quote:

(2) Skillful marketers have pegged "Christians" as a demographic. Christians who ride motorcycles, listen to music, play sports, eat food, wear tee-shirts, etc., can provide a ready $$$ for enterprises who care to advertise in that market. It's called "market capitalism."B]

Market segmentation is the term.

• Saph Rookie 90 posts since
    Oct 13, 2007
    32. Nov 30, 2007 12:41 PM (in response to Tawan)

quote:

Originally posted by Tawan:

According to Pat Robertson,

Oh well!!!!
    If Pat Robertson says so!!!!!!

Oh p'leeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!

When will these far-right whack job "ministers" learn to preach to their converted and leave the rest of us alone?!?!?!??!

I seem to recall another "minister," what's his name now?!?!? Oh yeah! Ted 'the fag" Haggard of the New Life CULT!!!
    He was one for telling us all how to behave too...turns out he was having sex with his boyfriend in a Denver hotel...when he wasn't preaching vile sermons at his yurt!

Then, there's that other guy, whose every word is hung on, the ever so righteous Dr. Dobson of Focus on (your own damn) family, and their mega complex....   your "charity donations at work" in Colorado Springs.

----

Saph
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• gpb11 Amateur 156 posts since
    Feb 13, 2006
    33. Nov 30, 2007 12:44 PM (in response to Tawan)

IMHO Pat Robertson is a bit of a loon, and is a poor representative of  Christianity.  It seems as he gets older and older he gets loonier and loonier.  Reasonable folks should know enough not to stereotype millions of people based on one example.

You can probably find a website to support just about any loony notion you can think to make up.

I don't for a moment think yoga is at all incompatible with Christian faith and principles.

Plenty of very devout churches offer yoga classes as well as pilates, dance, and other activities.

• maryk071 Rookie 164 posts since
    Dec 5, 2002
    34. Nov 30, 2007 1:16 PM (in response to Tawan)

quote:

May I ask what changed?

Good question.

I've become more liberal.

Also, I just tend to focus on the scientific aspects of yoga. I don't totally ignore discussions of good and bad energies, but I sort of interpret it through my Christian beliefs.

• monster2077 Rookie 27 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. Nov 30, 2007 1:17 PM (in response to Tawan)

Heh, actually some christian churches have their own yoga, but they have renamed all the poses...ie, Son salutation, vs sun salutation...

• DogMom1st Rookie 469 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    36. Nov 30, 2007 1:24 PM (in response to Tawan)

quote:

God is good!
    The Outstretched philosophy is simple: we believe God will bless our sincere efforts at deepening a relationship with Him. He wants our fellowship and appreciates creative approaches to seeking His face. This is why Outstretched is dedicated to a Christ-centered pursuit of physical healing and spiritual growth through a practice of yoga.

So instead of ommmmmm it's goddddddddddddddd?

quote:

Originally posted by clasko2596:

The only thing I remember while attempting yoga is thinking...

please don't fart, please don't fart, please don't fart...

I didn't mind the stretching but I could not stop wanting to giggle when we got to the meditative parts.

Obviously I can't even be serious about non-religion.

quote:

Originally posted by maryk:

I've become more liberal.

Woo Hoo!

We're converting them one at a time. 

• UncleFred065 Rookie 139 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    37. Nov 30, 2007 1:42 PM (in response to Tawan)

Let me get this straight ...

Yoga is bad for Christians, but this

is okay???!!!

----

Thank you for your time ...
    Fred

• kommish77 Rookie 139 posts since
    May 23, 2002
    38. Nov 30, 2007 1:50 PM (in response to Tawan)

quote:

Originally posted by UncleFred:

Let me get this straight ...

Yoga is bad for Christians, but this

is okay???!!!

LOL.. the funny part is I have seen Stryper in concert and one of their songs was sung in my wedding. That being said, just because someone says they are a "Christian" ___________ (fill in the blank) doesn't make it so. Those guys were known for partying just as much as the secular groups.

• bburgoyne26 Rookie 245 posts since
    Jul 9, 2003
    39. Nov 30, 2007 2:53 PM (in response to Tawan)

quote:

Thanks B!

I checked with the authority and she has absolutely no problem with it. Her mom, however, has been reluctant to accept it.

maybe her mom is Missouri Synod...and maybe she wasn't a hippie in the 60's....

• mistaSteve Rookie 80 posts since
    Dec 30, 2002
    40. Dec 20, 2007 6:27 PM (in response to Tawan)

Yeah, in retrospect, embrace and extend is not limited to Christianity, it's a general policy for groups that are looking to dominate other groups.

Also, I am thinking if I heard you playing piano somewhere, I probably wouldn't say 'oh no, this is that Christian piano', and leave.

Finally, Kenny G is Christian Saxophone?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Andrews:

Well, I'm a Christian and I teach saxophone lessons. So if you take from me, I guess you're getting 'Christian Saxophone' instruction?

(Sometimes what is meant by that term is the repertoire being covered is primarily "gospel music"--which these days is a particular form of urban light jazz that, yes, features saxophone improvisation a lot.)

Hope that helped.        

[http://This message has been edited by Ray Andrews (edited Nov-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Ray Andrews (edited Nov-30-2007).]

[http://This message has been edited by mistaSteve (edited Nov-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by mistaSteve (edited Nov-30-2007).]

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...