Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1484 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2010 11:10 AM by GoKelly RSS
AnnapolisWimp Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2010 11:46 AM

W1D1C25k! Week 1-Day 1-Couch To 5k! HELP!

Hi All!

I absolutely HAVE to start this program today...  I'm nervous.  I am not obese but I am so out of shape it's sad!  Does anyone have any tips for the following:

-> Eating before or after - What to do & not to do?

-> Drinking before or after - What to do & not to do?

-> Running in cold weather - What to wear & what not to wear?

-> Music while running - Is it dangerous to run while listening to music?

-> Short steps or Long strides - Is one better than the other?

I'm starting this today as I am the least likely candidate for long distance running therefore I believe I will be able to raise a lot of money from all of my nay sayers...  I am running for Baby JJ whose mom, and my friend Lainie was diagnosed for the second time with Stage 4 Breast Cancer when she was 8mo pregnant.

I need online companions (and would LOVE a C25k buddy in Annapolis) to help me get through this!  I AM NOT A RUNNER...  But I really want to be because they always seem so damn happy about it!

Thank You!!!

Jess in Annapolis

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    1. Nov 1, 2010 12:38 PM (in response to AnnapolisWimp)
    Re: W1D1C25k! Week 1-Day 1-Couch To 5k! HELP!

Hi Jess! Welcome, and good luck -- it sounds like you have lots of motivation!

In terms of what to eat and drink before and after you exercise, I usually try to have a light snack (preferably with protein, like cheese or nuts) about an hour before hand. I always have water with me when I run.  I've heard that it if you can eat within 60 minutes after working out, you will burn more calories since your metabolism is still up. In terms of what to eat/drink after, I say whatever you want. I almost always have a banana right after I run, but that's my preference.

What to wear depends on what you're comfortable in and where you live. I don't really get cold weather where I live, so I wear compression shorts under running shorts most of the time, along with a sports bra & a sleeveless running shirt. I cannot wear cotton shirts anymore since they don't dry quickly and they're not comfortable for me. Also, get a good pair of running shoes that suit your foot.  I listen to music when I run, but I know a lot of people who don't. It's a matter of preference.

• pushin40 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 31, 2008
    2. Nov 1, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to AnnapolisWimp)

Hi Jess,

I'd be so happy to have a partner -- and I'm willing to start today with you!  I've started it a few times before and always gotten sidetracked for one reason or another.  I have all the excuses in the book... starting with the kids!  My twins were born 25 months after their older sister, so life has been crazy for a few years, but the kids are getting old enough to entertain themselves at least long enough for me to jump on the treadmill for half an hour or so!  And it's gotten to the point where they are saying that they want me to be thinner... that's the part that hurts the most, I guess.  I can sort of pretend I'm not unhappy, but I would never want to let them down or embarass them.  And I know I need to get healthy.  The nail in the coffin was when I went to the gym the other day and found out that the 80pounds I thought I wanted/needed to lose is now really closer to 100!!  :-(

Hopefully we can keep each other motivated and going strong.... I ran a 10K years ago, and kick myself each time I see a 5K posted locally that I know I just can't handle.

Happy first run/walk!

~Nancy (in Princeton, NJ)

W1D1C25K

• pushin40 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 31, 2008
    4. Nov 3, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to AnnapolisWimp)

Hey Jess!

Just checking in.... did you go running today?  So far, I'm two for two!  And like a nut, I not only started this while I had a head cold (no more excuses!), but I have added swimming on the "off" days... hoping to shed some extra poundage with minimal impact to make more progress on the running!  But Sundays will definitely be a day of rest!

~Nancy

W1D3C25K

• GoKelly Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    5. Nov 9, 2010 11:10 AM (in response to AnnapolisWimp)

Hello all!  I have began this workout as well and figured I'd reach out for some support as well as provide some support for others doing it!  I'm only one day into the program but I'm liking the slow start.  Usually when I run (not often because I don't necessarily enjoy it), I just keep going until I get tired and feel like stopping.  By starting out with some walking/running I think I'll be more likely to stick to it and hopefully build up some endurance.

One important part that will force me to keep up the routine is registering for a 5K.  There is one in January that I am going to register for.  This way I will have to keep working so that I can actually make it through the race.

I'll check back in on here to talk with others about problems I'm having and things that are working out for me.

Happy running from Seattle!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points