Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1048 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 12:44 PM by thedevotedrunner RSS
Brandon Cornejo Rookie 1 posts since
May 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 2, 2010 10:54 AM

Blending cycling and running?

Clearly many people do blend bikes and running but my question is how to do so without loss of performance?

So, I have been an avid racer (bikes) for 6 years or so - road, MTB and cyclocross. Through these endeavors, I have a base of cardiovascular fitness and strength that has translated well to a few 10Ks I have done this fall. Though I probably have the fitness for longer runs, I have not toyed with greater distances for fear of getting injured as I understand that I should be adding volume in 10% increments.

Well, I have been a "little bit" smitten with running and would like to train for longer distances - preferably trail races. Yet, I have a hard time letting go of my first love, cycling. So, my main question is how do I train for bike racing while simultaneously training for running (considering completing my first off road marathon in August of 2011). I enjoy both sports but I am not sure how I can put the two of them together. Do I train as though I am completing a du? Is it wiser for me to consider shorter distances than 26.2 miles if I am not fully focused on running? How has anyone else successfully incorporated multiple sports together?

I have considered hiring a coach, but figure that talking (electronically and otherwise) with people first would be wise.

• Gazelle2008 Rookie 96 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1. Nov 3, 2010 12:23 PM (in response to Brandon Cornejo)
    Re: Blending cycling and running?

Brandon,

You are right... cycling is going to give you the aerobic/muscular development that you need to be able to hammer out some pretty good running... in the short- term. However, with long(er)- distance running... and training... comes the wear and tear on more than just muscles and lungs. Tendons, bone, ligaments, and joints start taking the drag of the running regime. You are doing the right thing about sticking to the "patience" model by building a base before jumping into your first training program.

My advice??? If you are not training for a duathalon... you can't serve to masters. Over the next 4-6 weeks, focus purely on building yourself a good running base of 25-30 miles per week. You can do this in as little as 4 to 5 days of running and still mix in the cycling. I am sure you have already noticed... recovery time from running takes a bit longer. Once you have a good base... pick a training program for a race distance that has at least 4 critical run work- outs a week (e.g. speedwork, easy/mid- distance, recovery, and long). Just like the free schedules on cool running has you running 6 days... bag a couple days and jump on the bike.

I think you'll find that if you... build a base, hit your training targets with at least 4 key running workouts, and mix in the biking... you'll be able to race at a level that you'll be satisfied with... while maintaining the joy of cycling... while the joy of running takes over!

Me? I am the opposite... I have always enjoyed running... but have started to enjoy biking. I picked up a fixie to hammer on a day or two per week to keep the joy of running alive... while starting to enjoy a new sport!

Good luck... -G

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Nov 3, 2010 12:44 PM (in response to Brandon Cornejo)
    Re: Blending cycling and running?

Do not disagree with Gazelles advice at all.  It IS difficult to train for both, though it can be done.  Even if you are training for two different races, I think if you train like it was a Du, you could do it.  I have a lot of friends wo do run marathons and do century rides. Be prepared for two a days and lots of training hours.  Don't know if I would train for two "A" races at the same time though.

If you are looking for a coach, allow me to suggest my coaches.  Jeffand Diane at PRS fit.  Excellent coaches and triathletes who provide excellent training plans and counsel and who are very easily accessable.  You can get more info at www.prsfit.com.

Caveat: I have been paid NOTHING to endorse my coaches.    I suggest them because THEIR PLANS WORK.  Got a 16 min PR on my last 1/2 Marathon.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points