Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2961 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 12:55 PM by how2runfast
Drtraiger Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 3, 2010 5:57 AM

Blisters on tips of toes

I'm having a shoe issue.  When I get to 7 miles my toes start hitting the front of the toebox in my shoes resulting in blisters on the tips of the toes.

I have good NB running shoes and I wear coolmax socks for wicking moisture.  I understand that my feet are probably starting to swell by 7-8 miles, so do I need to lace my shoes differently or go up a 1/2 size or what?  Thanks!!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Nov 3, 2010 6:36 AM (in response to Drtraiger)
    Re: Blisters on tips of toes

Drtraiger wrote:

I'm having a shoe issue.  When I get to 7 miles my toes start hitting the front of the toebox in my shoes resulting in blisters on the tips of the toes.

I have good NB running shoes and I wear coolmax socks for wicking moisture.  I understand that my feet are probably starting to swell by 7-8 miles, so do I need to lace my shoes differently or go up a 1/2 size or what?  Thanks!!

I think that you're on the right track with respect to the shoe sizing.  The general rule of thumb is to go up at least a half size in running shoes other than racing flats.  I am between sizes, and go up a whole size.  While I've had blisters, I've never had blisters on the tips of my toes. I'm not aware of any lacing pattern that would help with shoes that are too short.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• cggandy Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 30, 2010
    2. Nov 3, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to Drtraiger)

Wow, I used to get those toe tip blisters years ago while running cross country in high school. The fitter at the running store then evaluated the placement etc and determined for some reason I would slightly curl my toes when running after a point. We played with it for a wile and found a shoe that the toe box was a bit flatter from top to bottom than some others not giving me room to curl. I never had blisters there again . Even though now I buy shoes that i probably could curl in I now work on better breathing and keeping my feet relaxed and that has no longer been an issue even in roomier shoes. (back in the day the only shoes I could run in until i retrained my feet were Brooks they had a flatter toes box) so point is this A) your musing could be correct B) you may be slightly curling from a mild case of hyperventilation or hypo for that matter. C) relax the feet a bit while running, make it part of your mantra if needed for a while and see what happens. D) you may have a combo of all the above.   Keep going!  sometimes its a matter of adjusting. I have to relax my feet more when i have been under more stress than usual too. Just some thoughts.

Casey

Try..is not  an option, do..or do not.  I choose DO!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    3. Nov 3, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to cggandy)

cggandy wrote:

Wow, I used to get those toe tip blisters years ago while running cross country in high school. The fitter at the running store then evaluated the placement etc and determined for some reason I would slightly curl my toes when running after a point. We played with it for a wile and found a shoe that the toe box was a bit flatter from top to bottom than some others not giving me room to curl. I never had blisters there again . Even though now I buy shoes that i probably could curl in I now work on better breathing and keeping my feet relaxed and that has no longer been an issue even in roomier shoes. (back in the day the only shoes I could run in until i retrained my feet were Brooks they had a flatter toes box) so point is this A) your musing could be correct B) you may be slightly curling from a mild case of hyperventilation or hypo for that matter. C) relax the feet a bit while running, make it part of your mantra if needed for a while and see what happens. D) you may have a combo of all the above.   Keep going!  sometimes its a matter of adjusting. I have to relax my feet more when i have been under more stress than usual too. Just some thoughts.

Casey

+1

I hadn't thought about toe curling being an issue, but toe curling is common in runners without strong feet or when running hard and/or long.  I've never gotten blisters on my toes from curling, only toe pain and foot cramps, but we're all different.  If toe curling may be the culprit, foot strengthening exercises will help.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    4. Nov 3, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to Drtraiger)

If your toes are hitting the end of your shoe after running 6-7 miles, it sounds like either your shoes are a half size too small or your foot is slipping forward during your run.  If your foot is slipping forward, this could indicate a couple of things:

1. You aren't tying your shoes properly, tight and with your foot toward the back of the shoe.

2. You might also be running in a "shuffling" or "scuffing" type mode, where your foot isn't pushing backwards on landing, but forwards (overstriding), causing your foot to move forward within the shoe.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points