Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11420 Views 219 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2007 7:28 PM by bigapplepie Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 Previous Next
  • devholan Rookie 131 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 1, 2007 11:00 PM (in response to kommish77)
    Re: Church question

Oh I see where you're drawing the distinction now.  You're only discriminating on the basis of faith, religion and culture, not color and gender. 

It will be comforting to many, then, (millions, actually) that the decision of who enters and who does not is not up to you. And it is a comfort to me that I spend my time and energy trying to be close to my G-d, faith and culture than by judging others and their faith and culture (or lack thereof).

Peace on earth, good will towards (wo)men!

• bburgoyne26 Rookie 245 posts since
    Jul 9, 2003
    31. Dec 1, 2007 11:04 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by devholan:

Oh I see where you're drawing the distinction now. You're only discriminating on the basis of faith, religion and culture, not color and gender.

It will be comforting to many, then, (millions, actually) that the decision of who enters and who does not is not up to you. And it is a comfort to me that I spend my time and energy trying to be close to my G-d, faith and culture than by judging others and their faith and culture (or lack thereof).

Peace on earth, good will towards (wo)men!

oops....sorry dev...I was just giving kommish the business about conservative evangelical decision theology...you were noting that back on page one that jewish folks were not part of the country club....I noticed that and got sidetracked...

Dec 14, 2007
    32. Dec 1, 2007 11:17 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by bburgoyne26:

oops....sorry dev...I was just giving kommish the business about conservative evangelical decision theology...you were noting that back on page one that jewish folks were not part of the country club....I noticed that and got sidetracked...

Hi Brian!  No need to apologize at all!  I was addressing Kommish directly with my post; just forgot to quote hirs.  Sorry about that.  You don't strike me at all as the sanctimonious type! 

You know, since the door is open (to the topic of who's going to heaven and who's not), I can never seem to keep straight the Christians who think that Jews are the Chosen People and the ones who think we're going to hell.  Can someone help me with an easy way to remember or differentiate?  It confuses the heck out of me.  

Jul 9, 2003
    33. Dec 20, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by devholan:

Hi Brian!  No need to apologize at all!  I was addressing Kommish directly with my post; just forgot to quote hirs.  Sorry about that.  You don't strike me at all as the sanctimonious type! 

You know, since the door is open (to the topic of who's going to heaven and who's not), I can never seem to keep straight the Christians who think that Jews are the Chosen People and the ones who think we're going to hell. Can someone help me with an easy way to remember or differentiate? It confuses the heck out of me. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/rolleyes.gif|border=0!

it's almost as confusing as the BCS playoff system this year....the conservative evangelical Christians say horrible things about the Catholics yet pander up to them at election time to defeat the liberal pagan democrats....Pat Robertson wants to build a theme park in Jerusulem...the premillennialists want the muslims and jews to end the world so that those who have made the "decision" for Christ can be raptured up on a space ship....

oh, and I don't want to go to the country club anyway cuz I'm just a fcukin' hippie!

[http://This message has been edited by bburgoyne26 (edited Dec-01-2007).|http://This message has been edited by bburgoyne26 (edited Dec-01-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007
    35. Dec 1, 2007 11:41 PM (in response to kommish77)

Sweetie, one of the foundations of the Jewish religion is that we are waiting for the one and only messiah.  So NO actual Jews accept Christ as the savior, sorry. 

And while I'm not as knowledgeable about my Muslim friends' religion, nor other religions, I can tell you that many of them don't, either. And I'll bet that atheists and agnostics don't get an automatic ticket South, either. But what do I know, or any of us?

You simply don't and can't know what's waiting for any of us after this life. But I'll tell you what, if you come back here

after

yours and tell us you were right, THEN I might believe you.

• ctjim Amateur 151 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Dec 1, 2007 11:48 PM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Originally posted by kommish77:
    [B] First off, God will be the final judge of that.

[B]

Who ?

Jul 9, 2003
    38. Dec 2, 2007 12:05 AM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

Now the God you are talking about BB is one who reminds me of the country clubs in the US.... choosing who can be in and who can't. My God sent his Son to die for ALL.

So BB, can anyone believe on Christ or can only the ones who God chooses believe on Christ?

you are getting Luther mixed up with Calvin....

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Dec 2, 2007 8:02 AM (in response to kommish77)

If anything, Moslems are more likely to go to heaven than Jews as they accept Christ as a great prophet.

I fell sorry for the 2/3s of the world's population who aren't Christians but the food in Hell must be great!

• 770 Rookie 297 posts since
    Jul 22, 2006
    43. Dec 2, 2007 8:26 AM (in response to kommish77)

quote:

So are you saying that most of the country clubs in the US up until the last few decades were open to anyone and everyone... since that is the case in my version of Heaven.

So kommish, based on some of your earlier posts I'm somewhat surprised you see gay men and lesbians in heaven.  Maybe the archangels' heavenly choir needs a few gay men. 

• 770 Rookie 297 posts since
    Jul 22, 2006
    44. Dec 20, 2007 7:13 PM (in response to kommish77)

But in answer to the thread -

1. No, I don't go to church now.

2. Yes, I did all the way from infancy through high school in the Southern Baptist Church. I went to Sunday School, morning and evening Church services as well as Royal Ambassador's on Wednesday nights. I was very active in my Church. Since high school and college I've occasionally been to Jehovah's Witness, Episcopal and Unitarian churches. Bottom line is I still live my life as I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church with a little bit of progressive folkism (is that even a word?) thrown in.

3. Rarely do I darken the doors of most churches today. Most seem to have agendas separate of that from God and Christ and push their political agendas.

[http://This message has been edited by 770 (edited Dec-02-2007).|http://This message has been edited by 770 (edited Dec-02-2007).]

1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...