Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1537 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 4:51 PM by xcdesp RSS
xcdesp Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 3, 2010 4:12 PM

what to expect when recovering from a tibia stress fracture ?

i am a runner and have recently suffered from a stress fracture on my inner tibia bone. it has been 3 months since i stopped running i have been pain free and the lump at the stress sigh is now gone. i have been running for about 3 weeks and this past week i have bumped up to a decent paced 3mi run. but for the past 3 days i have been experiencing some tenderness and an occasional throbbing sensation at sight of injury but no pain. im not sure its just be being paranoid but is this "tenderness" and "throbbing" normal because i have no pain what so ever is it just my muscles getting used to the impact of running again? or is this a sign that i still need to rest.. any one who has recovered from a stress fracture you input would be greatly appreciated  !!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

CALL YOUR DOCTOR!

Having had two stress fractures, I cringed when reading your description.  Tenderness and throbbing sure sound like signs of distress, especially because they are at the site of the stress fracture.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

xcdesp wrote:

ahh !  all a dr is going to say is to not run. but i have talked to my college trainers and they say the slight soreness and phanton ache i am feeling is to be expected.....so when you started running you felt no sensations? becasue i have no pain or sharp pains as i have felt the months before not even close. 

If the PTs say don't worry about, they know a lot more than I do.  I just know that my second stress fracture was the same place as the first.  Maybe cross train (elliptical?) more than you'd like to until the "phantom ache" disappears.  All I know is that it takes a long time to recover from a stress fracture.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points