Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1216 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2010 12:33 AM by runninginBeijing RSS
runninginBeijing Amateur 15 posts since
Oct 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2010 6:23 PM

Can I make homemade electrolyte capsules from oral rehydration salts?

I'm currently in China and am totally unable to buy electrolyte pills (no one sells the stuff here, and no one outside China seems to be willing to ship here). So, I'd to make my own. Seems logical that I should be able to fill gel capsules with oral rehydration salts (ORS, which are readily available here). I'd then simply count the number of capsules I filled with one packet of ORS and then divide the nutritional information by the number of capsules in order to calculate the amount of sodium, potassium, etc. per capsule. On long runs and races, I think I'm aiming for something like 300-400mg sodium (or 800-900 mg sodium chloride) and 100-200 mg potassium per hour. Does this sound about right?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points