Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

68947 Views 1,297 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2007 6:57 AM by randymar Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 87 Previous Next
  • wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 1, 2005 4:32 PM (in response to therealman)
    Re: Beer

I used to be able bowl a WHALE of a game after a few rounds.

However, I will no longer attempt downhill skiing Re: Beer nor would I attempt to run....hell, I can barely get these tired old legs to turn over when I'm sober!

And talk about needing a BATHROOM!?
    good lord, look at who's posting this!

• randymar Rookie 2,240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Feb 4, 2005 1:57 PM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Originally posted by JustRunBabyRun:

This one's got a hell of a bite!

http://www.victorybeer.com/Beers/HopDevil.htm[/URL" target="_blank">

From AleStreetNews.com:

East vs West - The Lupulin Slam!

By Michael Venters
    What do you get when you cross a 6-pack of renowned brewers, 12 weighty brews, and two nights of smack talking confrontation? The Lupulin Slam! Dynamic seminars are not new to RFD Washington, but as Monty Python would say, Dave Alexander has now done something completely different.

Jan. 28 and 29, East met West for a no holds barred, hop showdown. The event was a model for trash talking, hop pitching, and brewed frenzy with enough pre-fight lip service to make Don King proud.

Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head Brewery headed the East Coast team, ably assisted by Bill Madden of Capital City Brewing Co. and Jerry Bailey and Kenny Allen of Old Dominion Brewing. Tomme Arthur of San Diego’s Pizza Port led Adam Avery of Avery Brewing and Tom Nickel of Oggi’s for the West coast. The tone was set when Sam picked up a glass of water and commented, “look, they started us out with a West coast IPA.”

If Imperial IPAs are IPAs dialed up a notch, then these guys cranked up the knob. The weakest beer on the hop scale was Capital City’s Pale Ale. Despite great balance and a smooth profile, even it would have your average beer drinker crying “bitter.” The East Coast team jabbed with Dogfish Head’s 90 and 120 Minute IPAs, Old Dominion’s Tuppers Pils and Millennium, and Capital City’s Pale Ale and Imperial IPA.
    The West countered with Pizza Port’s Hop 15 and Swamis IPA, Avery’s Dry-Hopped IPA and Hog Heaven Barleywine, and Oggi’s IPA 271 and Ding Ding IPA.

The beers were served two at a time, one from each coast. With each one, the respective brewer would explain the brew and launch into a verbal assault on the other team. There were poems, letters, posters, interviews, and even songs declaring hop superiority. Even better were the adlib jabs volleying back and forth. Politicians would sell their souls to debate so well. The result was a hilarious evening with some of the finest beers anywhere.

The banter was not all adversarial. The brewers were quick to point out their mutual respect and camaraderie. For instance, when Sam noted that all the beers from both teams had been great, Tom Nickel agreed saying, “that was the best blonde he’d ever had…”

The exchanges grew in length and humor with each new pairing. It didn’t take long for the audience to contribute as well. While diplomacy never quite showed up, political correctness made a hasty exit, yet the laughter only grew.

So after two nights of toe-to-toe sparring, who was the victor? Each night the audience ranked their top four selections and the cumulative votes were used to decide the winner. After the first night, Dogfish’s 120 Minute IPA was tied with Capital City’s Imperial IPA, with Oggi’s IPA 271 only two points behind. However on the second night, Dogfish Head emerged the clear winner. Dave Alexander is already planning the next event. I know I’ll be ringside

----

Life is Short ... Make Fun of It.[/URL" target="_blank">

• betsmoe Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 21, 2004
    17. Feb 4, 2005 10:03 PM (in response to therealman)

mmmmm...fat tire baby

• cranegirl080 Rookie 30 posts since
    Nov 2, 2006
    18. Feb 4, 2005 11:59 PM (in response to therealman)

OK,Ok...all of these are good, but come on, now...

Rouge River Brewery? Park City Brewing Co? Almost anything these people turn out is genius.

Or how about Chimay (those trappist monks have nuttin' better to do and so put some serious effort into this...)

I even sometimes make my own just for fun, it actually is pretty easy to do, doesn't require tons of stuff and is cheapppppeerrrr!

Dec 14, 2007
    19. Dec 20, 2007 7:58 PM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Originally posted by cranegirl:

Rouge River Brewery?

Do you mean "Rogue?"

I am particularly fond of "Dead Guy Ale" (I have a couple glow-in-the-dark tie-dye empties in the garage) and Shakespeare Stout. Mormoto's Hazelnut was surprisingly good as well.

----

[http://This message has been edited by randymar (edited Feb-22-2005).|http://This message has been edited by randymar (edited Feb-22-2005).]

• RunRGuy Rookie 35 posts since
    Feb 7, 2005
    21. Feb 8, 2005 7:21 PM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Originally posted by therealman:

Randy, I look forward to reading your book.

I finally got around to trying a couple bottles of this:

I figured being a special Christmas beer it would be overly strong but I didn't find it to be so at all. Very smooth with an interesting hint at a flavor I can't quite identify.

I also go around to do a little brewing. Five gallons each of Marzen and Pilsner. The Pilsner recipe called for honey and is supposed to replicate Pilsner Urquell, time will tell. I have been sick so I am waiting to bottle.

Has anyone had Samual Adam's Chocolate Bock? I am intergued but it's like *5 a bottle, a big bottle but still.

The Anchor Special Ale is very good, I also like their Steam.

Now the Sam's Chocolate Bock, that sounds great. I'll have to find myself a bottle of that soon. $15 is on par with a decent bottle of wine so not that expensive for a special ale.  When they came out with the Triple Bock they were selling these small bottles, 9 oz. I think, for $6 each. That was an interesting beer although more of an acquired taste.

Dec 14, 2007
    22. Feb 9, 2005 10:49 AM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Has anyone had Samual Adam's Chocolate Bock? I am intergued but it's like $15 a bottle, a big bottle but still.[/B]

Damn, you just remeinded me!!! It's Ash Wedensday already, and I haven't had this year's BBChocoStout!!!

I need a six-pack and I need it NOW!!!

----

Dec 14, 2007
    23. Feb 9, 2005 10:51 AM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Randy, I look forward to reading your book.

I hope so ... you're in it (the original "Beer" thread will show up in excerpts I'm sure)

----

• Kanaka Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2003
    24. Feb 9, 2005 11:12 AM (in response to therealman)
  • InsideRunner Rookie 28 posts since
    Mar 7, 2002
    25. Feb 9, 2005 12:34 PM (in response to therealman)

I've been meaning to come in here for days now.  Hey Randy!

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Flying Dog beers. I still haven't had one I'm crazy about.

The Anchor OSA was outstanding as always this year. Probably not as much character as it had last year and certainly not as much as the year prior, but it is still always a must-have.

I haven't had any of the DFH IPA's yet. I had their barley wine as well as their World Wide Stout - both were unbelievable.

Victory's Hop Devil very well may be my all-time favorite. That or Anchor Liberty. Or maybe Arrogant B@stard. Or Duvel. Man, I can never decide.

I actually don't think the Hop Devil has that big of a bite. Very well balanced beer with a big malt beginning.

Alright, I'm out.  Take care all!

• cranegirl080 Rookie 30 posts since
    Nov 2, 2006
    26. Feb 9, 2005 8:22 PM (in response to therealman)

Yeah, sorry...Rogue.  oooppsies.

In the hinterlands there is the Black River Falls Brewing Company (WI) that also makes a mean chocolate stout; it's called Oscars Stout. It has been inconsistent, but on tap it is really exceptional.

Yeeum.

Gotta run!

Mel

• Currently Being Moderated
    27. Feb 10, 2005 10:43 AM (in response to therealman)

Although I love getting a nice pint of IPA or ESB at brewpubs and the like, I would say my favorite style of beer is German/Czech Pilsners, especially draft (vom fass). 

Hard to find authentic draft pilz here in the states. You can get brews like Warsteiner, Bitburger, Pilsner Urquell at some good bars, but it isn't like getting it in Germany (non-exported).

Anchor Steam is probably my favorite American beer. Since I'm currently in Louisiana I have to tout Abita Springs Turbodog, and all the beers of the Crescent City Brewing Company (French Quarter).

Of course if you check my fridge, there'll probably be a bunch of Bitburger (for taste) and Rolling Rock Green Light (for health).

Cheers,
    Red

----

Run for Beer[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    28. Feb 10, 2005 3:21 PM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Originally posted by InsideRunner:

I've been meaning to come in here for days now. Hey Randy!

Hey man, How you been???

I didn't know DFH got out that far MidWest .. good for them. Now all we need is a MuskieHead Brewery to come East!!!

----

• InsideRunner Rookie 28 posts since
    Mar 7, 2002
    29. Feb 10, 2005 8:11 PM (in response to therealman)

quote:

Originally posted by randymar:

Hey man, How you been???

I didn't know DFH got out that far MidWest .. good for them. Now all we need is a MuskieHead Brewery to come East!!!

I've been good - you? Busy as heck though. It's hockey season for the boys, and I started a new job recently, so I'm moving so fast these days I can't see straight!

DFH used to get out here, then they stopped.  I actually had one of their other beers - the Chicory Stout, and then they were gone.  The other two I mentioned were sent from a friend.  Now if I can ever get my hands on some Brooklyn Black Chocolate.  Still never had it.    Storm King will have to suffice I suppose.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Capital brewery out of Wisconsin is a pretty good one out this way. Also, New Glarus is making quite a name, but they don't even distribute into the neighboring states, so I still haven't had any. Hopefully soon.

I hope all is well.  Still drinking a lot of Dead Guy Ale?

1 2 3 4 ... 87 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...