Skip navigation

1691 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2010 6:53 AM by Fox97
kane09 Amateur 9 posts since
Sep 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 6, 2010 3:57 PM

How do I finish stronger at the rim?

So i made my varsity team as a sophomore. I made it because i can shoot well but i don't do so well it comes to driving. I can beat a guy off the dribble or cut to the goal (that's the easy part). The hard part is trying to get the ball up without getting blocked. Since im younger that most the people I'm gunna play, i wont be as strong but I'm kinda tall for my age (6ft. 2in.). What things can i do to keep guys that are 6ft 5-8in from blocking my shot on a drive or just drawing that foul. And i know i can shoot the runner or floater over them but my coach wants me to be more aggressive and get fouls on the other guys. Every time i shoot a floater when we scrimmage in practice he takes me out and says thats "weak ****" *sigh*. HELP!!!

thanks

• Fox97 Pro 94 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    1. Nov 7, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to kane09)
    Re: How do I finish stronger at the rim?

What I try to do is go up strong and play big when you go up. By that I mean don't be intimidated. Use your athleticism. Turn your body into the D while keeping the ball protected. Go up and score after the initiated contact. Hope this helps a little.

• CoachMarc7777 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2010
    2. Nov 7, 2010 6:55 AM (in response to kane09)
    Re: How do I finish stronger at the rim?

Kane

That is a great question. Shooting comes naturally for shooters but driving does not.

When you go to the basket against players that are taller you have to do something that will be very uncomfortable, but it will be very effective when you are giving up some size.

1. DON"T WORRY ABOUT GETTING BLOCKED - many young players are so worried about getting their shot blocked that they make the common mistake of either taking off too earl, or letting the ball go too early (like a bad floater), or they fade or attempt a trick shot (I call this avoiding contact.

2. Initiate contact, don't avoid it. You will help your team by doing this because your percentage of made baskets will increase and you will force your apponents to either pick up stupid fouls or stop trying to block shots, either way , you win.

In short, take of from a closer position to the rim, and try to lean in and initiate some contact. You will get more layups, freethrows, and confidence, which will lead to more made jump shots.

Good luck.

Coach Marc

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points