Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

570 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 10:48 AM by Surfing_Vol
lmarx131 Rookie 2 posts since
May 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2010 8:40 AM

training for 8k

Question: Running 3x week for a while.  On mile 3 just started getting front knee pain on the left interior of right leg.  I don't know how to fix my stride or strengthen my leg so I don't get injured.

Anyone have an ideas?

• RunningErika Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    1. Nov 29, 2010 7:17 AM (in response to lmarx131)
    Re: training for 8k

I would recommend a knee brace, a roller and stretching. Even when my knees are not bothering me, I wear a brace to prevent pain and injury.

Erika

www.running5kraces.com

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Nov 29, 2010 8:26 AM (in response to lmarx131)

A couple of things to ask:

1.  How old are you shoes, may be time to replace.  300-500 miles shoes should be replaced.

2.  Correct type od shoes?

3.  Make sure you are streching your IT bands after your runs?

Good luck

• Jay206 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 10, 2010
    3. Nov 29, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

BOSNPM wrote:

A couple of things to ask:

1.  How old are you shoes, may be time to replace.  300-500 miles shoes should be replaced.

2.  Correct type od shoes?

3.  Make sure you are streching your IT bands after your runs?

Good luck

Ditto on points 1 and 2 -- shoes should be first and foremost.  If you have IT band issues, the pain will be felt on the outside of the knee.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Nov 29, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to Jay206)

Are you training in only one pair of shoes?  If so, you might find quick relief by adding another pair of running shoes, hopefully made by a different manufacturer, to your shoe collection.  Also, what kind of shoe are you running in currently? There are recent medical studies showing that runners wearing motion control shoes are more (not less) likely to have injuries.  I used to run in stability plus shoes, but switched to neutral shoes after feeling severe pain while running in stability shoes.  Even though I don't match any of the criteria, I have run better in neutral shoes.

Also, where you are describing the pain makes me think that you may see quick relief by exercises that work on your knee stability.  Try any number of quad strengthening exercises, from wall-sits to lunges to reverse lunges.  Do these on non-running days at first.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points