Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1317 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2010 6:34 PM by 00HokieRunner RSS
KennyP_USMC Amateur 10 posts since
Sep 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2010 2:06 PM

Funny feeling in both knees.  Any suggestions to prevent injury??

I have been in the Marine Corps for 15 years and have been a terrible runner.  Running maybe a max of 4 to 5 miles on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  I would be slight soreness in my legs which was common only because I sucked at running.  In February I checked into a new unit that runs a lot more than the norm of the rest of the Marine Corps....thats my thoughts anyway.  Well I guess you could say I got bit by the running bug and slowly began taking an interest in running.  We have increased our running from the normal 4 to 5 and have taken it up to 8 to 10 miles.  I feel that the running was a gradual progression so it was not a sudden shock to the body.

I have competed in a half marathon, a 10k and a few 5ks.  And each run I feel okay.  The only issue that I am having is that I have this funny feeling around my knee caps.  I guess you could say my knees feel really loose or like I have anxiety behind my knees.  I have never had any issues with my knees while I run.  I guess I am just a little concerned because I want to continue running and want to part-take in a marathon.

Has anyone else had these kind of sensations or feeling around their knees?  And is there anything that you did to help relieve this condition?

Thank you all for your input.

Semper Fi!

KennyP_USMC

KennyP_USMC.jpg

Completed Races:

Marine Corps Physical Training - For the last 15 years all over the globe.  "In Every Climb and Place"

Marine Corps Half Marathon - Camp LeJeune, NC - 9/25/10 - 2:18:50

Beirut Memorial 10k - Camp Johnson, NC - 10/9/10 - 53:57

Oktoberfest 5k - Jacksonville, NC - 10/23/10 - 22:59

Midnight Run for Ovarian Cancer 5k - Wilmington, NC - 10/29/10 - 23:00

Upcoming Races:

Swansboro Rotary Tideland News Great Mullet Run - Swansboro, NC - 11/13/10

Marine Corps Half Marathon - Fredericksburg, VA - 5/??/11

Marine Corps Marathon - Washington DC - 10/??/11  (decided I am gonna do this come hell or high water...that is if I am not deployed!!)

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,146 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

In addition to picking up the mileage, has this unit also picked up the pace?

If so, your calf muscles may be having growing pains. Even if the pace is the same or slower, your recent racing could produce the same results. A sore Gastrocnemius muscle at the top rear of the calf can produce vague pain at the rear of the knee that does not feel as if it is in the knee joint itself.

A good way to check for this is to stand barefoot with your feet and heels flat on the floor. If you have some difficulty straightening (locking) the knee it would point to a sore Gastroc.

If you have a massage tool like "The Stick" or a foam roller you may get some relief working the upper part and outside edge of this apple shaped muscle at the top rear of your calf. If not, a hunk of PVC pipe or even soaped up fingers (my choice) will do. Make sure the knee is bent slightly and ankle un-flexed to place the muscle in a relaxed state before digging in.

Feel for particularly sensitive spots and work them in detail. Any pressure strokes should move toward the heart to protect the veins. Be careful working the back of the knee joint, since there is little to protect the nerves and blood vessels there.

Thanks for your service, and good luck!

• 00HokieRunner Pro 124 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008

Sounds like it *might* be PFS which is darn common in certain profiles of runners. It might be worth having checked out as treatment is pretty simple - PT usually. The other obvious thing that comes to mind is having the wrong shoes. You don't say anything about the shoes so I'm not sure if you've been evaluated, or what the mileage on your shoes is like but those are two common problems as well.

If all the above fails, you might want to do some cross training on the legs and see how that helps. It could be some basic weight lifting, plyometrics, circuit training, etc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points