Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1998 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2010 10:10 AM by carsonsig
carsonsig Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2010 9:11 PM

Using Galloway for Training but no walking at event?  Any thoughts?

Hey all, I am running a 5k next Saturday, but am doing Galloways 10k training plan....  I like the walk breaks during training, I feel really good, so far, after my runs, am not as gassed or sore etc... BUT I have real issues with walking 8 minutes of a 60 minute 10k, and saying I "ran" it...  Has anyone else used the walk breaks to keep a smoother less trying training plan, but RAN the whole event?  I am looking for feedback here... no one I know has ever used the walk break idea before, so I have no other avenues for info...

thanks!

• J_McInturf Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 1, 2009

I used the Galloway training method for completing my first full marathon. At the time of my training my furthest running distance was 5 miles and that was when I was in high school. Now I am 37 so I had a small running training base. I would start running then I would get bored with it and then would stop, then start again. I did have somewhat of a base because of my bike riding. However, the cycling may help with some muscle groups, but running is totally different.

What I'm trying to say is that a run walk program is a good thing. I did complete my first marathon (Marine Corp. Washington D.C.) in October this year. Up to that point my longer runs, anything over 7 miles I would do the walk thing. Usually I would walk after 10 minutes of running and then walk for a minute. I truely believe that if I didn't learn to walk I would not have finished the marathon.

It did take me 5 hours and 3 minutes, but I also live in a flat state FL and there are hills in the District of Columbia.

Sorry if I've strayed, but I my personal experience is to walk if you are training that way, there is no shame in it. Your body will thank you, you probably won't be the only one walking.

Good luck!

Josh

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"- Shawshank Redemption

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010

Can I jump in with a question?  I am finishing C25K but having some motivational issues about getting past the 25 minute run without a walk break.  I downloaded 2 Galloway workouts from MotionTraxx and used the 30/30 intervals last Saturday.  I didn't feel like the run times were long enough.  The other one I have is 60/60 intervals for 45 minutes which I will do the day after Turkey Day.  I am looking for an interval training plan that increases distance, a 10K plan maybe?  Any suggestions?  And do you know of one with a podcast or phone app?

Thanks for any help you can give, I think I just need to break out of a rut and increase my distance.

Melinda

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points