Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

893 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 6:43 AM by Vin Camacho RSS
pensgirl10 Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2010 8:18 AM

Help me plan my winter

I am running my first 50K in March and my second marathon in May. Those two events are set in stone. I would also like to repeat two races I did last winter, a 30K and a 20-miler. So the calendar looks like this:

February 26th: 20 miles

March 19th: 50K

March 26th: 30K

May 15th: 26.2

For the 20-miler and 30K I could also run the shorter distances they offer or not run at all. I was thinking the 20-miler would make a good taper or long (with distance added) run for the 50K - or is it getting too close to the 3-19 race? And a 30K a week after a 50K would almost certainly be pushing it. I'd feel bad if I couldn't do it but on the other hand I've always wanted to volunteer at an aid station. Should I run that day at all? I'm a 48-year-old female who has been running for two years, if that makes any difference. Any viewpoints welcome!

• Vin Camacho Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 15, 2010 6:43 AM (in response to pensgirl10)
    Re: Help me plan my winter

I don't see any reason why you can't. It all comes down to your fitness levels and recovery times. I'd play it by ear. You should know by know how long it takes to recover after such distances. If you can't recover from these races fast enough it may be smart to back off. It's up to you. One of the main tools us ultra runners need is to listen to our bodies (I am fairly new to it my self, only attempting my second ultra this Saturday).

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old becasue you stop running"

Take care, Train hard and Train smart. Sincerely, Vincent

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points