Skip navigation

886 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 12:48 PM by pdvillagran RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2010 10:22 AM

Event Reviews

Share your experiences with this event below Back to event details page.

• griffinscuba Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 15, 2008
    1. Nov 15, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

This is a great event for the kids.  My son has done it two years now.  He was very dissapointed about the mess up with the final mile this year.  He felt he didn't "deserve" his medal because the race was cut sort on accident (which I assume was because a volunteer steered the kids on the wrong race path) and because he is very much a stickler about these things, he had to finish the rest at home!  I thought the medals were fantastic this year, better than last year.  We will plan on participating again next year!

• RW2001 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010
    2. Nov 15, 2010 1:13 PM (in response to Guest )

Thank you to all the sponsors and volunteers. I have triplets and our entire family participated. We were dissapointed in the route "mix-up". My children wanted to continue and finish the marathon. We do plan to participate again next year. Thanks again to all the sponsors! Great work!

• Vealpa Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2010
    3. Nov 16, 2010 5:23 PM (in response to Guest )

First of all - I think the idea of a kids run is fantastic! I think this first year is a good year to build off of because (1) it would have been nice since the kids have to register and pick up packets - just like actual adult runners, then give them their own number and take time on them.  My daughter was expecting this because she seen this done - so I had to try to take a time with my regular watch. (2) maybe have a 1 mile for the 4th grade and under and a 2 mile for the older kids - if it is possible to end the log differently for different age group kids.  (3) have a person that pays attention on the route to point kids in the right direction - having the wrong and shorter course run was no fun...my child was more disappointed in me.  I actually suggested a call back right away since everyone finished at the same time with the 1/2 mile course, but the gentleman in the red Pensacola Athletic Association shirt...gave me a snide remark that no one would remember this in the morning...he is SO wrong!  That's all that was discussed.  Can you imagine waking your child up at 5:15 a.m (as we live in Perdido area) and get them excited about finishing their run log, and then they get even more excited when we arrive about 6:30 a.m. and see tents and people, etc....then do start a race they finish 5 minutes after starting....NO FUN!  But, we did hang around to see the 1/2 marathon guys finish and see how they did to try to make the most of the morning.  As I mentioned in the beginning....this idea is fabulous and just needs a little work to really make great!  The only problem is I don't know that my daughter will have the same desire to do a run next year.  Her interest was beginning to peak this year at age 12...so I can only hope now...this was not the best introduction to running for her.

• pdvillagran Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2008
    4. Nov 17, 2010 12:48 PM (in response to Guest )

Two words... very disappointing.  Our two children worked hard over the last two months to get all of their miles in before the race and then on race day they got completely ripped off.  My kids are 6 and 7 and they both knew the course was very short.  I tried to play it off as being just a bit short but kids are smart and they sensed the truth.  Ironically just prior to the start the race director said there are volunteers on the course to ensure runners know which way to go.  In hindsight maybe the race coordinators could have simply had an adult as a rabbit to lead the children on the run.  I doubt the same lack of attention was given to the full or half marathons.  Why do something half-way?  If we want to encourage our kids to do these kinds of events (including getting up at 5 a.m.) we need to ensure we do it right--to include individual numbers for each participant.  I had to explain that to both of my children because they have seen me in road races before and know everyone gets a unique number.  I hope this wasn't the way the race sponsors wanted it to be run.  In the end it was the children who worked hard for this event that were left disillusioned with the product they received.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...