Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

46822 Views 810 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2007 6:57 AM by MichiganFlyer2 RSS 1 2 3 ... 55 Previous Next
SaintCroixRunner Rookie 13 posts since
Jul 28, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2005 6:33 PM

Sub 20-Minute 5-K

First of all, I apologize if this thread still exists somewhere and I'm reinventing the wheel. Someone tell me if that's the case.

If not, I hope that there are some other runners out there hoping to break into the teens at this distance. My PR is 20:27, and I am in the middle of building up to 50 mpw in a quest to crack it. I'm 28 and relatively new to running after a college soccer career and then a couple of years of..well....not too much athletically.

Anyone out there looking to do something similiar. Maybe we can keep in touch like the 40 minute 10-K thread and see what strategies are working for us.

• batfish062 Rookie 57 posts since
    Jun 26, 2005
    1. Dec 5, 2005 6:46 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)
    Re: Sub 20-Minute 5-K

Hi SaintCroix,

I searched and searched for the original, classic Sub-20 thread bug couldn't find it anywhere. So, I'm glad you started a new one.

I'm not nearly as close to the mystical barrier as you are; my PR is a 21:28...

Still, I think I have the chops.

Two reasons:
    1) I've only been running for 5 months
    2) I'm about 20 pounds overweight

I figure if I can stay healthy, build a base over the winter, lose the excess baggage, then I have a legitimate shot in the spring.

So....

I started base-building last month. I built to 40 and took a recovery week last week. This week, I'm going for 48-ish. I hope to build to around 60 over the course of the winter and run a 5K race off of this base in March.

After the March race (which is just to sort of see where I'm at), I'll add some quality runs in hopes of breaking through in in a late spring goal race.

Anyway, I went a little crazy and ran a 16 mile long run yesterday, so I'm ahead of schedule for this week, mileage-wise...

My base building schedule is shaping up to something like this (5-6 days on, 1-2 days rest):

SUN: long
    MON: rest
    TUE: rest or recovery
    WED: medium-long
    THU: rest or recovery
    FRI: medium long
    SAT: recovery

I'm currently running all of my runs at a comfortable pace, nothing fast.

----

Batfish

Profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    The Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 5, 2005 7:08 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

I was wondering when this thread would crop up again.  Count me in for the Sub-20 5k wannabee club.  Right now I'm somewhere around 21:30 or so.  I'm hoping to go sub-20 by next June.  I'm building up to the following schedule, which I hope to maintain for 3 or 4 months before the Big Race (whatever that is):

One long run, 10-12 miles
    One fast run, 3-5 miles
    Track workout every other week, 200/400/800 ladders
    One or two recovery runs to bring total to 30-35 mpw

----

Running To My Future
    Me[/URL" target="_blank"> and My Log[/URL" target="_blank">
    The
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• duckgeek086 Amateur 82 posts since
    May 17, 2004
    4. Dec 5, 2005 7:46 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

Me too.  I've only run one fairly casual 5k (21:58), but McMillan projects me at 20:32 based on my 1:34:54 half marathon. 

I'm working on strength and speed over the winter and hoping to get 19:xx in the spring.

Chris

• batfish062 Rookie 57 posts since
    Jun 26, 2005
    6. Dec 5, 2005 8:41 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

quote:

Originally posted by SaintCroixRunner:

Your plan seems solid bat - let's hope we can rope in some more people. How was the long run, are beat up today or feeling okay?

I'm feeling ok - just a suggestion of soreness in the hammies. I have an ankle ache, which is a little more worrisome. I tweaked it last weekend - my van ran out of gas and I had to run 4 miles home on a highway! I ran much faster than I normally would, and on pavement (cars speeding by just feet from you have a tendency to inspire a quicker than normal pace), and I think the concussion nicked my ankle, somehow (I usually run slowly on soft trails). It's been a little achy here and there. I have to watch this one carefully.

quote:

I ran 13 on Saturday and ran too fast I think. I finished in 1:36, which was at 7:24 pace and I was pretty dam sore yesterday, but good sore, not injured sore.

Wow, that's a fast pace for 13, IMO. I generally run all of my miles between 8:30 and 10:00 minute/miles. The only time I'm in the sevens or lower is when racing... I should probably run some reps or something just to get used to running at a faster pace...

quote:

On the recommendation of my sister's boyfriend (whose PR is a measley 14:11 in the 5-K) I'm running 7-days a week. He claims an easy 2 miles is better than not running. We'll see. I'm just laying a base now, because I think I have decent speed, but awful endurance (my times drop way off as the race distance increases).

14:11 (!  Wow, that's fast.  Yeah, I'd like to run seven days a week, but sleep is an issue for me.  I have to get up at 5:00-5:30am for my runs (so as to not impact the family) and after a few days of that, I'm pretty tired, so I like to indulge by sleeping in to about 7:00am a few days per week.

quote:

So, my schedule for this week is

Sun - 4 mile recovery
    Mon - 6.5 mile easy run
    Tues - Same as Mon
    Wed - 9 mile easy run
    Thur - Same as Mon
    Fri - 2 mile warmup and then 4 mile tempo at 6:50-7:00 pace.
    Sat - Long run 12-14.

Building up by raising mileage for three weeks in a row, then down for a week to 60% of the week before.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

Patrick

Sounds like we're on the same page, base-training. I'll probably add that tempo run after I've held my highest base mileage for a while (or, more likely, after the snow melts).

Anyone have their goal races in mind, yet? Or are we all a ways away?

----

Batfish

The Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• BriRunner Rookie 24 posts since
    Nov 21, 2004
    7. Dec 5, 2005 9:32 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

I had a 19:26 at age 49 and a 19:41 at age 50, but then got a bad case of plantar fasciitis that has taken a year to get over, and I am only now getting back up to 20 mile weeks. I am going to try to go sub-20 again with you all. I'm hoping I can PR once more before I just get slower and slower. My PR for the 5K was on about 30 mpw.

• JasonsDrivingForce Rookie 513 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    8. Dec 5, 2005 10:22 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

Count me in as a sub 20 5K wannabe! However, I am trying to break the sub 20 barrier with a jogging stroller. I have been running with the stroller for the past two years but my personal best with the stroller is 20:51. Funny how my personal best without it is 20:46. Anyway I ran a 20:06 with him on a training run so I think I have a great shot at it if it doesn’t snow for the race on Sunday. I ran an 8K on Thanksgiving day with my son. I had a 5:55 first mile, a 12:15 first two miles, and a 19:55 at the 3 mile mark so I should be able to do it if the course is relatively flat. I am sure that I could do it without the jogging stroller but that just isn’t as much of a challenge. Let us know if you reach that magical number. It will definitely motivate us to try that much harder.

• MaineRunner2001 Rookie 265 posts since
    Mar 15, 2002
    9. Dec 6, 2005 11:31 AM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

I'm still looking for a sub 20 minute 5K. I used to do it consistently when I ran cross-country as a Junior in High School (all time best 19:04). I'm 39 now, started running -again- when I was 35. Here are my pb's since I started: 2001 - 21:59; 2002 - 21:27; 2003 - 20:18; 2004 - 20:06; and 2005 - 20:04.

My 5K race times have leveled off. If I could bump my miles higher - from 30 to 50-60 I'd probably be able to do it. However, my wife complains that she misses me too much when I'm gone so long. Kind of a nice problem to have I guess. I really focused on it the beginning of this year and the year before. Next year I'm not going to stress about it - maybe that will work!

Here's a link to the old 20 minute thread. The first page is missing, but the rest seems to be there:

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/009714-2.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

Good luck all!

• stevebur Rookie 38 posts since
    Sep 28, 2001
    11. Dec 20, 2007 9:26 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

quote:

SaintCroixRunner
    Cool Runner posted Dec-05-2005 06:58 PM            

----

I ran 13 on Saturday and ran too fast I think. I finished in 1:36, which was at 7:24 pace and I was pretty dam sore yesterday, but good sore, not injured sore.

are you sure of the distance of that long run? of you can run 13 at 7:24 on a training run (even if done somewhat too fast) then you should be able to break 20:00 for a 5K.
    you should probably slow those long runs down, at least a minute per mile, unless you are doing a specfic type of long run (progression run, or a portion of the run at say 1/2 marathon pace).

[http://This message has been edited by stevebur (edited Dec-06-2005).|http://This message has been edited by stevebur (edited Dec-06-2005).]

• jimgravity Rookie 10 posts since
    Jan 27, 2004
    12. Dec 20, 2007 9:26 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

quote:

Originally posted by stevebur:

are you sure of the distance of that long run? of you can run 13 at 7:24 on a training run (even if done somewhat too fast) then you should be able to break 20:00 for a 5K.
    you should probably slow those long runs down, at least a minute per mile, unless you are doing a specfic type of long run (progression run, or a portion of the run at say 1/2 marathon pace).

[http://This message has been edited by stevebur (edited Dec-06-2005).|http://This message has been edited by stevebur (edited Dec-06-2005).]

That's what I was thinking...either he's faster than he knows, or the mileage was wrong.

I'm looking to break 20 too, but I'm not completely focused on it.  I ran a 20:47 in '98...had a layoff...started a year ago...did 20:52 six weeks ago.  back to adding to my MPW for the winter...might try a 5k next week but since I haven't done anything hard recently I don't think I have any more speed than I had six weeks ago.  the course could be substantially easier though...it was a tough one.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Dec 6, 2005 5:10 PM (in response to SaintCroixRunner)

If you can finish the last 5 of a 13-miler at 7:00 m/m, I'd be very surprised if you're not already capable of going sub-20 for a 5k.  I bet you could even do it on a training run next week.  I say go for it.

----

Running To My Future
    Me[/URL" target="_blank"> and My Log[/URL" target="_blank">
    The
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 ... 55 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...