NEED HELP?|

2448 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2010 4:05 PM by NA_Umpires
Frank_NL Amateur 25 posts since
Feb 25, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2010 12:38 PM

? Indoor drills wanted

Hi you guys,

Holland calling. We live in a cold country in winter, and my 12 players (15-18y/o) practice indoor, two hours per week, until sping. As I have never had any baseball training myself, I am looking for a number of drills for these players. Thus, for indoor practice. Oh, and the hall we're using has the size of two basketball fields.. nothing fancy. Groundsballs, base management (how to play a base?), base running technique, base running strategy. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Nov 16, 2010 10:04 AM (in response to Frank_NL)
    Re: ? Indoor drills wanted

Frank-_NL.  Firstly, are windows a part of this indoor facility?  If so, you have to really have to restrict what you can do.   We, luckily had metal covering over our indoor facility so we could do  what we pleased.  I liked to concentrate on Pitching and Catchers drills indoors.  POP drills for catcher to increase their glove to hand to throw mechanics, and of course the accurate throw watching their feet and their position.   Pitchers should work on location, rather than speed, and if possible have a portable mound available so the simulations (especially on pick offs etc.) are from the proper heights of a normal mound.   I worked with my infielders on grounders at them, to the left and right of them and stressed the importance of the cross over step when going for a ball in the hole.  Good indoor practices and really help on the timing of the middle infielders on DPs and I would do a lot of reps on those.  Bunting (defensing them) is ideal in this enviroment and I would set up all sorts of possible senarios since I find a lot of teams lose games because they cant defend a bunt.  The other drills you mentioned in your post are just fine.  Hope this helps a little.   TM

• NathanQ Legend 378 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    2. Nov 16, 2010 8:32 AM (in response to Frank_NL)

That sounds difficult.  Can you get a good bounce on the floor?  If not, I don't know how you can do any kind of ground ball training.  Obviously fly balls are out.

TM has some good thoughts.  I would also consider:

• Lots of dynamic stretching. Like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRww5rQkTw 
    • Lots of core body exercises.
    • Blocking drills for catchers.
    • Lots of hitting. If you have some pop-up nets you could have multiple stations set up for tee, soft toss, bunting, small whiffle, etc, and just keep rotating.
    • Lots of playing catch. Like they say, it's 90% of the game.
    • Lots of drills like what we call the Star Drill.  4 players on four corners take turns rolling grounders to each other while working on stuff like keeping butt down and glove out in front.
    • Can't do fly balls indoors but you can do variations on the "wide receiver drill". Get the player to run away from you and lob a baseball past him so he can catch up to it.
  • TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Nov 16, 2010 10:03 AM (in response to NathanQ)

JohnG, your correct the bounces arent true, but it helps the hand/eye coordination and also the timing btw the SS and 2B positions.   The rest of your suggestions are terrific.  TM

• NA_Umpires Community Moderator 350 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Nov 16, 2010 5:08 PM (in response to NathanQ)

You can take ground balls - try using one of the "reaction balls" - they are fun, but frustrating. Failing that, yes, work on TECHNIQUE. You can try the wooden glove. If you haven't heard of it, it's a piece of plywood approximately glove-sized with an elastic staped to the back to put your hand in - you do the ground balls fairly close in, and fielders can work on properly presenting the glove, and on their footwork on ground balls.

You can work on footwork and turning double plays by middle infielders.

You most certainly CAN do outfield drills - but they will be the "close-in" fly ball drills.

You can cover outfield footwork (drop step, etc.), which way to break, keeping the glove down, etc. and catching the ball over the shoulder. You can work on catching the ball at the shoulder on the throwing side to help outfielders make quicker and stronger throws.

You can work on techniques for relay throws (hands up, hit the relay man on the glove side, relay man turns away from the throw so he catches and throws in a smooth motion).

You can work on "do-or-dies" for outfielders - where they learn to field the ball OUTSIDE the body and crow-hop to make a "do-or-die" throw home.

Batting practice of course - short toss preferred, and nets a must. Use tape balls or whiffles for this to avoid breaking windows or killing someone.

Catchers can work on blocking, receiving, and throwing techniques.

Baserunning, pretty much all you can do is work on getting a lead, although you should do this on MATS - don't be diving onto a wood floor ! That hurts ! You DON'T want the baserunners learning to come back into the base standing up -- if you can, you aren't taking a big enough lead.

Pitchers can work on their pickoffs at the same time, if you choose to.

First baseman can work on holding runners on, and can also work on scooping the throws - you can use bouncier t-balls, or tennis balls.

NABCLL VP 13-18 Baseball, Umpire-in-Chief http://www.nayouthbaseball.org
    NAVYU (youth umpires) - http://eteamz.active.com/naumpires

Merrimack Valley Umpires Association Board of Directors - http://www.mvua.org

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    5. Nov 17, 2010 3:17 PM (in response to NA_Umpires)

Hey NA-

Is that you and your thumb in your picture? Or do you have a bald, yet faceless relative/roommate?

Dang this board is sure dead.

Time wounds all heels.....

• NA_Umpires Community Moderator 350 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    6. Nov 17, 2010 4:05 PM (in response to BlueBeak)

Yes, that's me and my index finger. I work for a fingerprint sensor company (Validity Sensors, Inc.) and the photo was taken from a webcam inside a lab at HP Houston.

NABCLL VP 13-18 Baseball, Umpire-in-Chief http://www.nayouthbaseball.org
    NAVYU (youth umpires) - http://eteamz.active.com/naumpires

Merrimack Valley Umpires Association Board of Directors - http://www.mvua.org

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...