Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3565 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2010 3:24 AM by Kelly Loves To Move RSS
Kelly Loves To Move Amateur 9 posts since
Jan 26, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2010 1:27 PM

I turned 50 this year, lost 50 lbs and will run my 1st 5 mile running event ever...Any suggestions?

This past Jan I decided to lose 50 lbs so I started walking the beach...I know...walking the beach in Jan?  YES! I love being outside and I am a skier and I dont mind the cold weather as long as the sun is shining and it isn't too windy

anyway...I would challenge myself and walk further and further and then challenge myself even more and jog a little and a little more until I was jogging 4 miles on the beach regularly.

By the time my birthday came in Sept I had reached my goal of losing the 50 lbs of unwanted body fat  and could jog the beach in less and less time.  WOOHOO

I saw this 5 mile Road Race in Southport called the "Turkey Trot" and I've decided to  try it...not for time...only to prove to myself that I can lose 50 lbs before I turned 50 and run (or should I say jog) a 5 mile road race.

I've heard about what time to get there and about the port a potty line...

What are some great suggestions that you can give me regarding...

exercise the few days before?

food to eat and food to stay away from?

rest?  

hydration?

shoes?

socks?

gloves?

music?

what side of the street to run on?

what is considered a good time to run a 5 mile race in?

Anything you can suggest is all good...I'm open to listen!

" Today I am creating my ideal life,

It feels so empowering and liberating,

I am focusing on my true purpose and passions

in life and letting the excitement build"    

www.ABetterLifeAfterDivorce.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points