Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3810 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2010 2:46 PM by doogiedoogiedoo RSS
emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
Jun 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2010 5:14 PM

Best Half Marathon Training Program

I am so thankful for this group - you guys have been supportive and always there for my questions.

A bit of background - I have been running consistently since June 21st and have run several 5K's.

I am currently running 3-4 miles 3-4 times per week. (still doing a run:walk program usualy 4:2 at this time) and have been injury free for quite a long time.

I am doing the Turkey Trot 5 miles in one more week!

I am looking (ok fantasizing) about running the half marathon in Miami with my cousin. The race is January 30th -- and if I do the race I will also get a trip to South Beach and a couple days in Disney which is a huge motivation for me.

I am looking to make a time... I am just looking to survive it! I know it wont be easy ... but anyways....

Does anyone have a recommendation on a half marathon training program that they have used --- that they like -- that worked?

Thanks so much!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Nov 17, 2010 5:48 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)
    Re: Best Half Marathon Training Program

Have you checked out www.jeffgalloway.com? He has training programs that have run/walk intervals for various distances.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Nov 17, 2010 11:44 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

You don't really need a program to survive a half.  Just gradually increase your mileage.  Try not to increase your weekly mileage or your long run by more than 10% each week, and make sure that your long run is equal to or greater than the total mileage of the rest of the runs during the week

Good luck..

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3. Nov 18, 2010 10:10 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

I recently committed to participating in a half marathon in Santa Monica/Venice mid January.  Was able to find a training schedule online by googling half marathon training schedule.  Up until recently I was planning on walking the entire course as I had been training for that - I have completed an 11 mile walk in under 2:20 so an extra 2 miles and change shouldn't take me the maximum allowed time. Oh, the half marathon is walker friendly and must be completed in 3 1/2 hours. However the last two weekends I participated in 5Ks and something got me jogging and I was able to jog distances of over 1/2 mile each before walking a couple hundred yards, then the cycle repeated. I completed both 5Ks under 32 minutes and this got me thinking.  The other day I was able to mostly jog 6.3 miles in 1:02.  Any ways, I digress.  I walk/jog 4 days a week, using Sunday as the long distance day and taking Monday, Wednesday and Friday off to rest.  Since I know I can complete the half with purely walking, on days I am walking I would walk about 5 miles at about a 13:30 MM pace, and then on the days I run I am going to try to repeat a 10+ MM pace.  I plan on adding an extra mile to my Sunday distance every week until I do 14 miles two weeks prior to the half.  According to the schedule I found online I should throttle back my Sunday distance a few miles the two weeks before the half.  Good luck with your half and enjoy your time in Florida.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 22, 2010 10:05 AM (in response to emmaleigh47)

Right now I'm doing Hal Higdons Novice Half

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Nov 22, 2010 12:05 PM (in response to flamomof3)

I think it is wise to use a plan,  it gives you more structure which new runners need.    Hal Higdon's plan are great and they are free on line!

• doogiedoogiedoo Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 22, 2010 2:46 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

i ran my best half while working my way through this plan: http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html

it's a two-stage plan and technically it's for a full marathon, but i use this as a guideline for when i'm trying getting back into mileage building after some period of maintenance or laziness, even if i'm not ultimately shooting for a marathon. i usually jump into whichever week my current mileage supports and then just follow the schedule until i get to whatever weekly mileage i'm shooting for. i'm not sure how it compares to other plans, but i'm told this one is fairly ambitious (i'm sure it's all relative though).

if you're just trying to finish, you probably don't need a plan, as long as you listen to your body and don't up the mileage too quickly. but if you have any sort of time goal that will push you even a little bit, go with a plan. i've tried halfs with and without a plan and the ones i've done with a plan have gone WAY better.

good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...