Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5489 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 5:15 AM by SMARIETTA RSS 1 2 Previous Next
smithlaur2 Rookie 6 posts since
Nov 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2010 8:04 PM

I don't get sore legs - why?

I'm doing W6D3 of C25K tonight, but up until now, I haven't gotten sore legs after running or the next day.

My W6D1 run was at 13:46min/mile pace, but that includes my whole workout including the walks and warn up and cool down.  In that run (including warm up and cool down) I travelled 2.46miles, so not too slow, I don't think.

Why are my legs not hurting? I don't stretch before or after runs.

Does it matter if they don't hurt, or does it mean that I'm not getting stronger?

• David-TT Pro 77 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    1. Nov 21, 2010 8:23 PM (in response to smithlaur2)
    Re: I don't get sore legs - why?

Interesting.  I hadn't thought of it but my legs have never hurt.  I just started week 4.  I had a pain in the right knee but only when I was actually running, and now it's gone away.  If I'm not running nothing hurts and I don't stretch either.  I never thought it should hurt.  I'm kind of new to this exercise thing.  The only way I can really get my legs working is going up hills on my mountain bike but even then there is no lasting sore muscle ache.  Maybe we're in better shape than we think, or we're not pushing as much as we think.  I'll have to ponder this.

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Nov 22, 2010 5:34 AM (in response to smithlaur2)

If your legs don't hurt, count your blessings.  No it does not mean you are not getting stronger.  It just means that your legs are fit.  Your legs usually only hurt in the beginning stages.  Mine sometimes hurt when I run a little harder than I usually do.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    4. Nov 22, 2010 6:15 AM (in response to smithlaur2)

At the most, you might expect to experience a generalized aching in your legs after beginning a running program (as opposed to outright pain).   But I don't think it necessarily means you aren't getting into shape if you "feel no pain".  I have rarely experienced muscular pain from running and I don't stretch either.

If you are gradually covering greater distances at greater speeds (no matter how incremental) then you are getting stronger!

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    5. Nov 22, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to smithlaur2)

Same thing here. I'm fairly new to running (3 months), did the C25K and now doing OHR, running one 'long run' a week of 45 min at the moment. I had not been doing any sports actively before that (meaning recently, in my adult life). I don't count occasional horsebackriding, biking (with kids) etc. My legs have never been weak though (used to race alpine skiing, compete in latin dancing and figure skating) so I guess that's part of the explanation why they have never been sore since I started running!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 22, 2010 8:01 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Keep in mind that the "C" portion of C25K refers to "couch". I'm guessing that you didn't come directly off the couch and that you had some level of fitness already.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

Sep 19, 2010
    7. Nov 22, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to Basscycle)

I think the founder of the thread had higher fitness level than me (that's also why I reacted:-)) There's no way I could swim 5K or competitively play underwater hockey and rugby. Until I started running I haven't done any kind of training or consistent sports activity (excluding taking care of 3 kids under 6) in more than 10 years. In my case it also helps that my BMI was 18-19 (so I actually gained some muscle weight on the way:-))

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Sep 19, 2010
    8. Nov 22, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to smithlaur2)

Anyway, I'd strongly recommend you to stretch before nad after your runs, it does make a difference!

Lucie

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Nov 22, 2010 9:50 AM (in response to smithlaur2)

I followed the plan here and I don't over do it when it comes to running. My legs don't hurt but I get tired on Long runs.

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    10. Nov 22, 2010 11:49 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

LemonaidLucy wrote:

Anyway, I'd strongly recommend you to stretch before nad after your runs, it does make a difference!

Stretch after, but usually not prior.  If you DO stretch prior, be VERY gentle  It is dangerous to stretch cold muscles. Better to stretch after the run when muscles are warm.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

Sep 19, 2010
    11. Nov 22, 2010 11:56 AM (in response to thedevotedrunner)

I agree, I meant stretching after the warm up walk/jog = warm up the muscles and then stretch before proceeding to the main part of your run/training, sorry for not being too clear.

On another note I found it quite useful to do some joint-relaxing exercises (just like soccer players do - ankles, knees, hips, shoulders) before the run = before the warm up to be precise. It helps me stay relaxed during the runs.

Lucie

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

• distance_runr Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2008
    12. Nov 22, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to smithlaur2)

Basically your legs will get sore depending on the amount of stress you exert on them.  I use to be in really good shape (not as much so now due to starting my career), running 10-15 miles a day on my college cross country team, and I was still sore most of the time.  Your legs not hurting or sore can be due to a couple reasons. One, you may be fortunate enough to have running trails nearby so the pressure of pounding your foot on the ground is lessened from those that train mostly on road.  Two, you may be able to afford shoes every 100 miles you put on them rather than the 350-500 miles that some people put in them.  Three, you are not stressing your legs as much because you are not running hard/fast enough.  Which isnt entirely a bad thing.  It will definately help you from getting injured, but will also keep you from improving (if you have a time goal) or losing as much weight as you possibly could.  Instead of taking it as a negative, take it as a positive that the running is not only helping you improve your activity, but improving your fitness level.  Your body is ready to do more and you should want your legs to be sore after some runs.

• Carrieous Pro 146 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010
    13. Nov 22, 2010 12:32 PM (in response to smithlaur2)

Im a bit of a novice runner- just finished C25K and am in week two of One Hour Runner.  Last week I ran on a tredmill on my lunch break and my hips were tight afterwards.  Then, last weekend I ran outside Sat and Sun and nothing is tight or sore.  I find that perplexing!  I thought outside running made you more sore than tredmill running....

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points