Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

867 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2010 3:52 AM by mss515 RSS
mss515 Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2010 3:52 AM

Hip/ Buttocks Pain

Hello Everyone,
I want to share my hip problem ordeal with everyone. Each person and each diagnosis is different, but maybe someone out there could benefit from what I have learned from my pain experience. I am a 25 years old male. I have been dealing with hip pain since I was a child on and off. I ran cross country and track in high school. Every season that I could remember,  I was plagued by a nagging pain deep in my left buttocks. Months would pass and without any symptoms then out of the blue the pain would return. Irritating at first, but with prolonged use, it would be completely debilitating. The pain ended my running career early each year, but it would eventually dissipate after the season. It was not until after I finished college and started working that I began to make progress toward solving my hip problem. If my buttocks was not irritated at the moment exercise would feel good, even loosen me up, but afterwards especially if I had ibuprofen in me, the pain would come back 10 fold. If my buttocks was irritated then, exercise was extremely difficult and I could not preform at full ability.
I have seen 3 or 4 chiropractors over the years. The alignments would help but the relief was very temporary (usually the pain would return on my walk out of the office). I have seen about the same number of physical therapists as well.  Even more because often I didn't work with the same person. The physical therapists identified that I had trigger points in my piriformis muscle. I did a ton of core strengthening, massage therapy, back stabilization, stim/ice therapy, ultrasound etc. You name it and I'm sure I have tried it. Physical therapy would usually fix me up for a few months, but after some time the pain would return. Finally, after years of making limited progress a chiropractor decided to test me for a leg length discrepancy. He said the absolute best way is a standing X-ray without shoes. Sure enough I was off by 10mm. Now, other therapists measured me for a leg length discrepancy, but could not identify one. As soon as I was corrected for the leg length issue the pain dissipated. Within a week I was exercising at full force. However, this wasn't the end of my ordeal. My pain returned. After another bout of therapy and some research online, I discovered that my pelvis tilts. When my pelvis is in a neutral position the pain goes away. When it is tilted forward, creating and arch in my lower back my pain returns. Today I am pain free.
So my symptoms are:
-Buttocks pain that worsens with exercise from nagging to extreme difficulty rising from bed (Piriformis Agitation).
-Some pain radiation from SI joint to upper hamstring (Sciatica irritation).
Overlooked by:
-Orthopedic Surgeon
-Physical Therapists
-Chiropractors
Pain is lessened (not cured) by:
-Massage
-Stretching
-Chiropractor Adjustment
-Ice/Rest
-Core Stabilization
Pain completely dissipated when:
-Pelvic alignment neutral.