Skip navigation

3279 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 5:56 AM by James Avis RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2010 10:16 AM

Event Reviews

Share your experiences with this event below Back to event details page.

• D. Alison Smith Brown Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 23, 2008
    1. Nov 26, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

We had a great time with beautiful weather.  Registration, packet pickup and chip pick up went well.  The run was a little expensive for the cotton t-shirt - we love the tech t-shirts, hats, socks, etc.  The age groups were too big - there are enough runners to reduce the size of the age groups.  I'll do it again next year as it was so close to home and very pleasant.

• berniceshaver Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 19, 2007
    2. Nov 26, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to Guest )

It was an awesome race and like D. Allison Smith notes, I, too, would like a tech shirt.  Loved the medals for the kids and enjoy how the funds raised from this event benefit the YMCA and Family Outreach.  But, my favorite thing was Josh as the turn around indicator.  He's hilarious and I enjoy laughing when I walk the race.  Oh, forgot about the Star Spangled Banner singers.  They brought me to tears.  Thanks for taking the time to sing it BEFORE the race.  I've been in races where they skip it altogether. 

• TimWhite74 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    3. Nov 26, 2010 11:24 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall, a good route, except for the turn around for the 5k/10k split was confusing.  The kids event was good for the kids as they all received a medal.  The registration was a bit chaotic especially getting a t-shirt.  The route was well-organized and safe to run on the street.  I'll do this again next year...I hope the temp is cooler and less humid. 

• Uncle Gonzo Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 3, 2010
    4. Nov 26, 2010 11:50 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran this 10k route a few months ago.  The turn around for the 5k seemed to confuse some people then.  I noticed this time they changed it up a little, and it seemed to get even more confusing.  I hurt my knee and had to walk much of the last two miles, so it took me about an hour to finish.  If there was any fruit or watter left, I couldn't find it.  Star Spangled Banner singers were great.

• scraps99 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 26, 2010
    5. Nov 26, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to Guest )

Not bad except it was way too hot for Thanksgiving! 

Minuses-- (1) Would have like the race to start on time, rather than 20 minutes late. 

(2) Can't find results online. A day later and still nothing ...

(3) Race was billed as a run through the neighborhoods of Clear Lake-- the 5k was just up Space Center.  Sort of boring.

(4) I also thought the registration fee was a bit steep.

Pluses-- (1) Route was well-signed and easy to follow (I thought the turn-around on the 5k was obvious).

(2) Staff was super friendly.

(3) Kids race was cute, and nice that they got medals.

• Tony Le Cara Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008
    6. Nov 26, 2010 4:50 PM (in response to Guest )

What a great way to start Thanksgiving day!  Nice course and well supported.  70 degrees and dry is better than the 55 and raining that was forecast earlier in the week.  Houston in November is warm and humid or cold and rainy or cold and very windy, I'll take this years weather any time.

• Lori Callaway Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    7. Nov 26, 2010 5:09 PM (in response to Guest )

Great race but a little bummed that you ran out of water at the end (at least there wasn't any when I crossed the line 1 hr later) :(.  Also, are the results going to be published?

• JTVsMom Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 26, 2010
    8. Nov 26, 2010 6:04 PM (in response to Guest )

I liked that the race proceeds will benefit the Bay Area YMCAs and the Family Outreach of Clear Lake.

I was VERY DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED that only one person seemed to know any details regarding the Kids K!!!

Our son ran and got his medal and goody bag and was VERY HAPPY. . .that's really all that matters!!!!!

• PamMunthe Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 24, 2010
    9. Nov 26, 2010 6:12 PM (in response to Guest )

A great race...Much better than fighting off 10,000 people for the downtown Turkey Trot.  Here's my question though...Where are the results?  Kind of frustrating not to be able to see my official time!

• Conetate Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 3, 2010
    10. Nov 27, 2010 6:41 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 5k race. We arrived early and didn't have a problem with the packet/ chip pick up. I thought the route was patrolled and marked well, but the 5k turn around seemed to confuse some people. I was glad there was such a the great turn out and hope this event continues to grow. Would like to see the results of the race posted.

• KellyRSmith Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010
    11. Nov 27, 2010 7:04 AM (in response to Guest )

Too bad the cold front was a day late but the race was great anyway. It looks like a record turnout. There are some good race pictures posted at http://www.runningacrosstexas.com/Photos.html

• ErickaRich Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010
    12. Nov 27, 2010 7:29 AM (in response to Guest )

The race was well organized and low key.  The 10K course was easy to follow, but one road was a little uneven (at a slant) and hard to run on. I am unfamiliar with the area, so I do not know the street name.

The staff was very friendly.  I am glad to support the YMCA.

• TToomm Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 9, 2007
    13. Nov 27, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to Guest )

My family and I enjoyed the event.  It's a nice size, and the parking is so much easier than the Galleria event.  We took advantage of the early pick-up at OTR, and got our chips with a minimum of drama.  I would rather that the up-and-back portion of the course of Space Center was always two lanes wide. 

• maknalivn Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    14. Nov 27, 2010 8:42 AM (in response to Guest )

Good run (At my age all runs are good).  I was concerned about the safety of a young man running on the left on the white lines. There were to many people for only one lane.

And on my return, at the turn of the 5k , I found myself running facing the cars coming at me.  I thinking this run has grown in two years time to next year having 2 lanes to run in.  Was hoping to see the times posted by now.   

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...