Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1857 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 10:06 AM by gdsmit1 RSS
manatee1973 Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2010 9:37 PM

starting W1D1 tomorrow

My Husband, Daughter (11 yrs) and I are starting W1D1 tomorrow. weather really is not  issue since we live in Florida any advice or words of wisdom?

Michelle

Started C25K~ Nov, 28, 2010

C25k status~ Week 1/ Day 1

Upcoming races: N/A

• Fliegenschwein Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 13, 2010
    1. Nov 28, 2010 2:09 AM (in response to manatee1973)
    Re: starting W1D1 tomorrow

I`m currently doing W3 D3 and the only think I would suggest is that you dont get tempted to go too quickly because you are finding it quite easy. Try not to run on consecutive days, leaving at least a day in between. Other than that, its a fantastic program and good luck

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 28, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to manatee1973)

Hi, I live in Florida too, just follow the plan that laid out and you shouldn't have any problems if you need to repeat any weeks that fine too, I did. There are apps on Itunes that help too if you want to run outside. Good Luck

• DenaliWolf Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 20, 2010
    3. Nov 28, 2010 11:50 AM (in response to manatee1973)

I've been at c25K about 4 weeks - repeating W1 for various reasons / delays.

Actually I have found personally, while I can do 60 sec jogs, it wears me out physically so I have been doing 30 secs and going from there.. getting there though!   So I guess my advice is take it easy and see what you are comfortable with...especially if you aren't used to the activity.. and go from there.

Take it easy - be sure to stretch before and stretch / ice afterwards!  Best of luck to you and there are a lot of us out here doing the same!

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4. Nov 28, 2010 3:38 PM (in response to manatee1973)

Congrats on getting started.  It's cool that the family is running it.  I'm running it with my son, but can't get my wife to run it.

Go slow.  If you have any problems carrying on a conversation, you are going too fast.  Don't compete with your husband.  Speaking as a guy, we are jerks sometimes, espescially when we are doing something athletic with our wives.  Don't let him push you into running at his speed, but if his speed is slower than yours, it couldn't hurt.  If you try to do it too fast, you are risking injury.

Finally, have fun with it.  The plan is to get you running.  Follow the plan and you will not just run, but will likely start to enjoy running.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• Lola67 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    5. Nov 28, 2010 5:24 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

Ask lot's of questions! The first two weeks your body is going to do a lot of adjusting, if you are a beginner like me. Listen to your body ice when you need to, rest when you need to. Most important thing is running can actually be very fun, something I never thought I would say....

Started CT5K 10.18.2010

Graduated 12.27.2010

1st 5K 01.29.2011 PR 00.33.40

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    7. Nov 29, 2010 10:06 AM (in response to manatee1973)

Don't count on your daughter being the one that gets discouraged.  She may be the one that excels.  After all, she's only had 11 years to get into a sedentary lifestyle.

My 11 y.o. son leaves me in the dust when we run.  Of course he's a stick figure, so doesn't have much weight to carry.

Good luck with your plan and make sure you get back here to tell us how it went.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points