Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1257 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2010 3:59 PM by scamp1974 RSS
scamp1974 Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2010 5:09 PM

Training plan adjustments

Hi.  Last week I started a 10-week training program for an upcoming 11.5 mile race.  It is a relatively non-intense program, with 4 running days per week - a regular training run, a tempo or speed workout, a long run, and a recovery run - with the weekly mileage peaking at 33-35 miles.  My question is how to tweak my pace in light of the trouble I'm having with the first couple tempo workouts.  I'm doing the training runs at a 8:30 pace and the long runs slightly slower - 8:45.  Those paces are comfortable.  The tempo runs I have done, or attempted to do, at a 7:35 pace, but I'm having trouble completing them as written.  In Week One it was two sets of 2 miles, and this week it was to be two sets of 2 1/2 miles.  Last week I did the first set of 3200 meters but only 1600 meters in the second set (with a third set of 800); this week I did one set of 2 miles (rather than 2 1/2) and a second set of 1 1/2 miles (and a third set of 800 meters).  I've set all of the above paces based on a relatively recent 5k of 21:35.  I suspect my trouble with the speed/tempo runs so far has to do with a low mileage base, about 15 to 20 miles per week prior to starting the program.  I have rested / jogged slowly, by the way, during the tempo workouts for a little less than half the time of the tempo set (about 6 minutes, for example, after a set of 2 miles at 7:35/mile).

In light of all of the above, any ideas about how best, or whether, to adjust my training would be welcome.  I'm inclined to just slow down the tempo pace a little, maybe to 7:45/mile, and otherwise stick with the program.  The race, incidentally, is a moderately difficult trail race, which I have little experience with.  I likely will substitute some of the actual speed workouts, when I get to them, with hill work.  Any ideas about that would be welcome too!  Thanks very much!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points