Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1955 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2010 5:56 PM by RebeccaRachel
RebeccaRachel Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2010 11:36 AM

Question for the experienced runners please!

I have exercised my entire life and I'm 39 years old.  I've always done the eliptical and lifted light weights.  I just started running and within two weeks I'm at 3 miles!  I love it and I'm just wondering about how often I should be running.  I've heard as a new runner I should only run 3-4 times per week, but I feel more like running 5 days per week.  Is this a problem?  I feel so sluggish on the days I don't run.

Thank you!!  Rebecca

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Dec 3, 2010 12:12 PM (in response to RebeccaRachel)
    Re: Question for the experienced runners please!

I think everyone is different, but I think 4 days a week for about 6 months until you get a solid base is all you need.  You can exercise the other days, bike, wt lift, or walk, this will help you recover.  You don't want to get a over use injury early (or late for that matter).  Recommend that you don't increase your miles by more than 10% any week.  I have been running pretty hard for the last 3-4 years and I only run 5 days a week.  Enjoy, it has been very good for me, I race often with my daughter who is now at UNC and a great runner.  Take care Phillip

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Dec 3, 2010 12:56 PM (in response to RebeccaRachel)

The key, especially for older runners (40 is the magic age for "masters" status), is to avoid injury which forces you to miss running days.  A major component of injury prevention is taking days off to allow the body to rest and mend.

If you want to run more, increase the mileage on one or more of your weekly runs.  Cross train or rest on your days off.

Congratulations, and good luck going forward.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• run50yrs Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    3. Dec 8, 2010 3:09 PM (in response to RebeccaRachel)

Do what makes you feel good.  I now schedule one day off per week, which is a concession to age, but there will be days I won't have time to run, or days when my legs just won't go.  Those are the days to take off.  Don't worship some arbitrary schedule; if you feel like running, go for it.  I guarantee that you will eventually learn your limits.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points