Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1041 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2010 6:53 PM by ultimatehlth
mtmcall Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2010 6:17 PM

Cramps in ankle and feet

For about the last month I have been getting cramps in my feet and ankles at night. I take pottas, calc, mag and D3 suppl. I stay hydrated and don't do alot of miles. Tjis is concerning because no Dr. can tell me what is going on> Has anymore had this experience? I have not tried ice or heat yet. This does wake me in the middle of the night and I have to get up and walk around.

• chuntley Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 22, 2009
    1. Dec 6, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to mtmcall)
    Re: Cramps in ankle and feet

I had foot cramps but the problem was not in my feet. Lots of your foot muscles are actually located in your lower legs, deep underneath the calf muscles. If you stretch those muscles with wall pushups before bed you may find some relief over time. I also found that the rolling a old golf ball under the foot remedy helped to things up a little.

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    2. Dec 7, 2010 6:53 PM (in response to mtmcall)
    Re: Cramps in ankle and feet

Did the pain begin after you starting running or upped the distance? It could be a fallen arch. If your shoes aren't giving you enough support you can strain your plantar fascia which runs almost the length of the foot and the Posterior Tibial Tendon which helps hold up the arch. These can cause pain and or spasms on the bottom of the foot and the medial (inner) side of the ankle. 

Changing to new properly fitted shoes, or adding a shoe insert like (Superfeet) should relieve the stress.

Personal Trainer Hollywood - Los Angeles - Fitness

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points