Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2378 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2010 6:14 AM by Lisa34798
TAG11 Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2010 7:18 AM

Fuel for Long Run

At how many miles should you begin thinking about fuel? I am currently at 6-8 miles on my half marathon plan and am wondering if I should begin working fuel into my runs now?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Dec 6, 2010 7:47 AM (in response to TAG11)
    Re: Fuel for Long Run

A good rule of thumb (but like all rules of thumb, one with exceptions) is to fuel every half hour.  You certainly need to start experimenting now to see how you do.  For instance, energy gels don't sit well with some people.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    2. Dec 6, 2010 8:08 AM (in response to TAG11)

Totally agree with Vol's suggestion to start trialing different things for your fuel intake as some things really can upset your stomach.  I usually use an hour as a point to start re-fueling and then every 30-45 min after that.  It's worked pretty well for me.  I can start feeling my energy slipping around that first hour so I will do a 1/2 Cliff bar then and then 1/4's to 1/2's in that 30-45 min range after that depending on the length of run or if it's a race.  I usually try to push a little farther during training runs to try and train my body to handle the lowered glycogen levels a little better and then during races I plan to be a little over fueled rather than under to ensure optimum energy.  This works well for me but again I would caution making sure your stomach can handle it before doing any races.  Practice doing this during training runs just to make sure.  Personally I like the energy bars rather than the gels but they are more difficult to eat and carry while your running.

Good luck with your training and have a blast!!

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• ZenPacer42 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 5, 2010
    3. Dec 6, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to TAG11)

One of the purposes of long runs is to teach the body to use more fat in the fuel mix. I don't take in any carbs

during a long run. Just water. I also run at a low enough heart rate where my body is burning

about a 65% fat to 35% sugar ratio (180-age). Another purpose of a long run is to deplete

glycogen stores. The body usually responds to depletion by storing more glycogen than it

did before. That's why I don't eat during a training run or long runs. If I was an ultrarunner

and was running longer than 4 hours, I would consider it.

Food for thought. Research the purpose of long runs on Google. Keywords: fat-burning, RQ,  long runs, purpose of long runs, etc.

People are different though, and some are in a sorry state with sugar-burning bodies, and might need to take nutrition until they can shift their

bodies over to a better fat burning state. Diabetics might need to always do so.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Dec 6, 2010 9:57 AM (in response to ZenPacer42)

ZenPacer42 makes a good point -- you don't want to chug a gel at mile 2 of a slow 5k.

When I was younger and faster and I didn't take any carbs (and usually didn't drink) unless the run was longer than 12 miles.  I still don't eat anything unless my run is going to be at least 9 miles.  However, I drink an electrolyte solution -- rather than water -- for long runs. 

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• PowerRuff Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    5. Dec 6, 2010 7:19 PM (in response to TAG11)

I have just started incorporating fluids and such into my long runs ( I am working up my mileage for a half marathon too and my long runs are at 8 miles). My advice would be to start carrying fluids and fuel, so that when you think you are hitting your point and feel your energy failing you arent stuck 2 miles from home and running on empty. I discovered on a 7 mile run that I needed to start carrying water with me, a miscalculation in the distance of the trail made my 7 mile run into 8.25. Between the added distance and a pleasant but unexpected change inthe weather I found myself wishing that I had brought anything to drink. Ever since then if I am planning 7 or more I carry at least water and have started trialing fuel sources. I tried my first gel last weekend, wow I dont know what I thought it would be like but the consistancy caught me off guard a bit. If nothing else it left me with energy post run which I feel is really important.

"SEA LEVEL IS FOR SISSIESBolderBoulder

• Lisa34798 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    6. Dec 13, 2010 6:14 AM (in response to TAG11)

Everyone's body is different, so you'll need to test out what works for you. For myself, I tend to fuel based on time rather than miles, and it comes out to roughly about an hour into a run, and about every 45min to an hour after that. The trick is not to let your body feel the energy drain, so fueling to keep it at a constant level is one thing you want to keep in mind. Also, if you take gel or anything, make sure you have water handy, so you can sip and wash it down. And make sure you're not guzzling too much water or downing the entire gel in a short period or else you'll feel really uncomfortable with a full stomach. Again, it's all about testing what works for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points