Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2253 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2010 1:45 PM by racebug313 RSS
racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
Oct 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2010 8:04 AM

12 weeks to my first half...  it's on!

sooooo, I've been running now for a few months and have made the decision to run a half at the end of February, putting it in writing.  Gasparilla in Tampa, FL.

up to now I've been running 3-6 miles several times a week, but never really formally tracked or stuck to a training plan.  well, I have my plan set, got a second pair of training shoes yesterday,  and finally loaded my Garmin software.  I know if forced to by injury, etc, I can and should veer off my plan- but I need the structure especially to get me going and steadily build my miles.

this forum is amazing for support and advice, so I'm putting it out there if anyone has any words of wisdom, or is starting a similar plan around now to please respond!   thank you!

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    1. Dec 6, 2010 8:15 AM (in response to racebug313)
    Re: 12 weeks to my first half... it's on!

My advice is to follow the training plan, listen to your body and be very careful not to push to hard to fast,  be patient with your speed, endurance and progress and most of all JUST HAVE FUN!!  Set your goal to finish and to have fun and try to avoid all the speed hype, time hype and just enjoy the first one.  It's amazing how much you learn along the way on that first one.  JUST HAVE FUN and enjoy the accomplishment!! Good luck,  your just going love crossing that finish line the first time!!  Have a blast!!

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 6, 2010 8:22 AM (in response to racebug313)

Hi, I wanted to say good luck and you'll have fun at that one!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Dec 6, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to flamomof3)

Pete, is right on, stick to your plan, listen to your body and enjoy the ride. 

• capsfan2013 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    4. Dec 6, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to racebug313)

Good Luck!! I have done 2 this season!! You will feel great once you finish. Just make sure you listen to your BODY!

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    5. Dec 6, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to racebug313)

Good luck! I am doing my first half a few weeks before you (in Jacksonville), and I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    7. Dec 7, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to racebug313)

Thanks, racebug! I agree with that line, as well as the quote in your signature!  I don't expect to be a top finisher because I'm not fast, but my slowest time is still faster than my best sitting on the couch time!

• Trey Judy Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    8. Dec 7, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to racebug313)

That's a great goal.  I signed up for my first half and full.  I'd thought about a half this December, but injuries moved that out until Feb.  I'm signed up for the first Rock'n Roll marathon in Savannah next November.  2010 has been a year of real progress for me.  I hadn't run in 14 years and jogged the New Year's day polar bay 5K in just over 29.  My doctor said that my knees had healed well and that running was okay, but to listen to my body.  My 5K times got progressively better over the course of the year down to 22:21 for the Turkey Trot.  I ran five 5K's over the year and picked up an age group 1st place and a master's 2nd place in smaller races.  I also finished 8 triathlons and picked up 2 age group 2nd places and 1 top 10.  My last goal was to finish a century in under 6 hours.  I did Savannah in 5:18 counting rest stops and 4:50 ride time.

Next year, the goal is 1/2 marathon in February, full marathon in November, and finishing the assault on Mt. Mitchell before the parkway cutoff.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points