Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

12862 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2007 10:53 AM by RBultimate Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • PHL_Baseball Community Moderator 44 posts since
    May 30, 2007

TG,

OT of Baseball..

Bo Jackson was an awesome NFL Football player and athlete .. Maybe only average MLB Baseball Out fielder though. I saw him play mostly football on TV rather than baseball. I do remember he hit a HR in an All Stars game once I think ?

I find it amazing that anyone can reach such a high level in 2 Pro sports.

I would have loved to see Bo play Rugby League Football.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Aug 17, 2007 12:25 PM (in response to Trish18)
    Re: Who's the most famous athlete you've met?

Joe Theismann, Redskins QB and ESPN dude.  It was at Dulles airpoprt on the way to Seattle.  We happen to have been in the same dorm at Notre Dame in 1971.  --Mike

• dave__1110 Amateur 10 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    17. Aug 17, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to TG.)

Muhamed Ali,  It was 1985 Houston TX .. He was staying in the Hotel I Managed. 

Others I met that stayed at the Hotel. Not Athletes...

Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Rod Stewart,  Neil Diamond,  Brian Adams

• runnerclay Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 11, 2007
    18. Aug 18, 2007 7:00 PM (in response to Trish18)

Muhammad Ali in 1965 and 1967                Jerry Rice    Clete Boyer played  third base for Atlanta Braves and NY Yankees

Kalid Kaannouchi at the Marine Corps marathon just after he set the world record.  

• tumblebug Pro 74 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    19. Aug 20, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to Trish18)

Whitey Ford, Goose Gossage, Nolan Ryan, Don Larsen, Ron Guidry, Orel Hershieser, Tony Gwinn, Ozzie Smith, Lou Brock, Dave Winfield, Harold Renyolds, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, John Matusak, John Madden, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Michael Cooper, Kurt Rambus, James Worthy, John Wooden and the most recent was Keith Ericson who I just met at lunch today.  These are just a few from the top of my head. It is part of my business to be in the same place at the same time with athletes and showbiz celebs.  I rarely get excited anymore and I never ask for autographs but it is definately cool.

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    20. Aug 20, 2007 5:01 PM (in response to tumblebug)

I run into a lot of famous athletes and other famous people, because my office is across the street from MTV. I prefer to leave them alone as well. The only time I try to get in-person autographs is at the ball park for my kids. There is one lady that I think is gorgeous, she played a doctor in a show with Mike Farrell. It turns out she belongs to my church (as does Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson).  I don't talk to them because I don't want to invade their privacy. My wife would kill me anyway.

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    21. Aug 20, 2007 5:44 PM (in response to MyTwoSons)

Living around stars just becomes a way of life living in certain parts of LA. As neighbors we actually were protective of their privacy. I'd have friends visit and be wowed they played basketball with some star. To us they were just part of the Saturday morning basketball gang. They were at the playgrounds with their kids just like anyone else. They were in the pickup line at preschool just like anyone else. You would be surprised how ordinary some of them look without makeup. The best was living at the beach and having rock stars take over the stage.. One of our pre married hangouts had a house band who were contract backup musicians. Guys from major bands who lived at the beach would come in to see them and join them on stage.

The big hassle is having a show filmed down the street. What a hassle getting to work when they were filming. And it was an awful show that lasted a few years. Before anyone asks I can't remember the name of the show. It was a detective show in the 80's when these shows were hot. It starred two studs and a problem solving nerd. Their boat was docked in the town of "King Harbor" which was actually the King Harbor Marina in Redondo.

Hey Tumble. I would have mentioned Rambis but I didn't see him as a star. The only starring appearance he had was McHale tossing him into the front row on a layup.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    22. Aug 20, 2007 5:56 PM (in response to Trish18)

One of my uncles was the late Dick Schaap, so I got to meet my fair share of athletes and other celebs.  The most meaningful for me was when I was introduced to Bob Beamon (1968 Olymic gold medal winner and former world record holder in the long jump) and got to tell him that I had his picture plastered on the door to my college dorm room.

• dippydooey Expert 35 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    23. Aug 20, 2007 6:20 PM (in response to Trish18)

I have met:

Joe Montana
    Jerry Rice
    "Mean" Joe Greene
    Tony Dorsett
    Harold Reynolds
    Jack Kemp
    Jimmy Johnson
    Leo Nomellini

That is it.

• firstbase23 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    24. Aug 20, 2007 6:25 PM (in response to Trish18)

I've met Muhammed Ali, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, Sandy Koufax, Lou Brock, Tony Dorsett, Mean Joe Greene, Dwight Clark, Leo Nomellini, Ronnie Lott, Reggie Jackson and Warren Spahn.

Matt

• tumblebug Pro 74 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    25. Aug 21, 2007 10:55 AM (in response to TG.)

I met the Lakers I mentioned along with James Worthy at a hotel I was staying at in Atlanta.  They were getting into the elevator I was already in and Magic was at the front desk.  We held the elevator waiting for magic and eventually leaving him there. They were all very personable and friendly.  It seemed odd to meet them in Atlanta when I live 40 miles from the Forum where I had seen them play dozens of times.

• jwest09 Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 11, 2007
    26. Aug 22, 2007 10:30 AM (in response to tumblebug)

Dan Marino getting ice cream with two of his six children.

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    27. Aug 26, 2007 5:11 PM (in response to tumblebug)

Like Tumblebug, I am in the entertainment business so I am around big stars all the time, both music and sports. I also worked security at the 2004 World Cup in Washington in the VIP area and did security for the Redskins. Between these things I have met many past and current stars.

The best was the first time I worked a Redskin game I wouldn't alow a woman to access the home team locker ramp without a pass. Turns out it was Joe Jacoby's wife.

Michael S. Taylor

• sbbaseball Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    28. Aug 28, 2007 7:43 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

So what constitutes "met"?

Although probably not considered famous by many...the only one that I feel I really "met" wasLarry Drew.

Many years ago, when I was in Junior High School I went across the street from my home to play some basketball with some friends.

Larry Drew, a member of the KC Kings at the time, pulled up and spent an hour or so playing some ball with us.  I didn't even know who it was at first but we were someone suspicious after a bit because of the nice car and obvious talent.  We didn't hound him for anything and just spent the afternoon playing and talking...probably exactly what he was after as he appeared to truely enjoy the game.

That was as good as it gets for me...a pro-player just dropping in when he sees some kids playing a game.

That's why I had to intially ask what defines "met"...paying money to stand in line, get an autograph, and shake someones hand doesn't qualify as meeting someone.  If you can't talk with someone in a non-controlled and relaxed environment...I don't think that qualifies as meeting them.

I'd like to see some detail in the previous lists...

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    29. Aug 28, 2007 10:28 PM (in response to sbbaseball)

I will try this again. I posted an answer that went away. The board said I wasn't logged in and then wouldn't let log-in. I went back to Eteamz and I was logged there, came back and was fine until I tried to answer. Then I was out again and then back in. Most confusing.

sbbaseball  asked for details.

Example:

I met Tim McGraw, his dad Tug and his wife Faith Hill a couple of years ago. He was back stage getting ready to go on and we talked for ten minutes or so.

I have met and spent time with all the Blue Collar tour guys including playing wiffle ball with Larry the Cable Guy last year. My son caught.

Michael S. Taylor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...